Unlocked Samsung Galaxy S6

Will a Samsung Galaxy S6 that is unlocked for Verizon GSM work on Republic? Thanks

No

The SM-G920V will not work on Republic you need the SM-G920T with the correct build numbers US regional Factory Unlock model

Bring_Your_Own_Phone_FAQs

Samsung Galaxy S6 (SM-G920T) *See more info below

• (Apps → Settings → About device → Model number)
    *For the Pixel, Pixel XL, Samsung Galaxy J3 and S6 phones only: In addition to matching the model number, you also need to match the build number. This additional step ensures that you’re receiving a Republic certified phone, meaning it’s been thoroughly tested by our engineers and has received updated quality improvements.

Some J3 phones have an older build number and can be updated to the build number listed below, so please make sure your J3 has all of its updates before checking the build number. To find the build number, tap Apps → Settings → About device → Build number. The build number must match one of the following:

For Samsung Galaxy S6

• MMB29K.G920TUES5DPK1
  • MMB29K.G920TUES5DPI2
  • MMB29K.G920TUES4DPH2
  • MMB29K.G920TUEU4DPG2
  • MMB29K.G920TUES4DPF1
  • MMB29K.G920TUEU3DPD6

If I want to buy a refurbished phone from ebay, how can I know the build number?

Hi @chayalaf.3ct1ss!

You can ask the seller if he could provide it to you. If he is selling in bulk, he may not be able to get it, but it is still worth a shot! Hope that helps!

mb2x

Should the seller say he doesn’t know where to look for the build # it is in Settings->‘About phone’. It’s at the bottom of the list of info.

Nitpicking to be sure but on Samsung phones it’s Settings -> About device. It’s a TouchWiz thing.

I don’t consider that nitpicking. (^:)

I should have remembered about t.w. (no caps = disrespect) and looked up how to do it or just asked for someone with a Samsung phone to chime in. I was just playing with an S5 and a Galaxy tab the night before last and “wandering through the halls of Wiz” seemingly interminably trying to find what I wanted. At least they didn’t do something like moving it to Settings->Security->Updates->‘Build number history’ or some other clever trick.

Thank you for reminding me.

If you have the chance, take a look at Huawei’s EMUI. Makes TouchWiz look almost stock.

I’ve seen quite a few complaints about EMUI on XDA.

For the S6, you must get a SM-G920T. If you don’t have the correct build number, it is possible to side load the proper build number using Odin (download from Sammobile.com). Here is a video to explain the steps. Make sure you use a quality usb cable and you may need to try several times. I was successful in installing G920TUES5DPK1 build that I got from Live.samsungupdates.com. This was on an unlocked T-Mobile branded phone and it took me several tries. I originally tried to install G920TUES4DPF1, but I kept getting error messages. I’m not sure why it didn’t work. It could have been the cable, my usb port, or that the build was so much older than the build on the phone. After installing G920TUES5DPK1, it quickly updated to G920TUES4DPL1, which the Republic app also supports. Others have done this and I originally got the idea from this thread.

I had an old Verizon S6 phone with GSM capability and my daughter wanted to try it out to see if it would work with her Republic Wireless SIM card. We set it to GSM mode, loaded the Republic Wireless app and the SIM card and got it to work. Tested it for phone calls, data, messaging (with photos) and everything seems to be working fine. The phone model is a SM-G920V (the Verizon variant). Before trying this, I tried searching the internet to see if it was possible to make this work and came up empty but since we had the phone lying around, we thought we would give it a shot.

Message an
Expert customer