Unlocking an otherwise compatible cellphone?

I have been offered an LG K30, but it is not an unlocked version, as per the Republic compatability list.

If I am successful in having it unlocked, will that make it compatible?

(It was an AT&T freebie, if that makes any difference).

–thanks!

Hi @davidh.66j1ud,

I’m afraid the answer on LG’s K30 and for others reading on compatible models generally is no. For a supported model to be Republic compatible it must be factory unlocked. Models intended for use with other service providers even if unlocked after the fact will not work with Republic’s unique blended WiFi/cell service.

Republic’s unique (sufficiently unique to be patented) blended WiFi/cell service requires one of the carrier agnostic factory unlocked phones listed here: Republic Wireless Phones – Republic Help. You’ll want to be certain the phone you wish to bring is an exact model number (and in some cases build number match) for those listed.

This Republic Help Center document walks you through the entire process of bringing a phone sourced elsewhere to Republic: How to Bring Your Own Phone to Republic Wireless (BYOP) – Republic Help.

Even better is this contribution from a fellow member (Republic likes to call customers members) linked here: How to Find a Compatible Unlocked Phone.

3 Likes

OK, thanks very much for your reply.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer