Upgrades to Republic Wireless and the Motorola Edge

What phone do you have?

What plan are you on? 1 GB data Unlimited

Our phones need to be replaced right away, and we are contemplating buying the Motorola Edge 5G. Will the new upgrades to RW support this? When will the new upgrades go into effect?

Hi @terryj.05jc0v and welcome to the Community!

Republic’s current My Choice plans support the factory unlocked 2020 Motorola Edge (model XT-2063-2) but not the 2021 Motorola Edge. Both the 2020 and 2021 models support 5G. Republic does not yet officially support 5G but, nonetheless, a flavor of 5G does work. For more on that, please see here: Understanding Emerging 5G Technologies.

Forthcoming new Republic plans will officially support 5G. That said, there is not yet a list of phones certified to be compatible with Republic’s new plans. Regarding the timing of the launch of Republic’s plans, Republic has said and continues to say December. There is currently nothing more definitive.

You mention your phones needing to be replaced right away. Are there specific reasons for that? I ask because, unless absolutely necessary, I would suggest holding off on the replacements until the details of Republic’s forthcoming new plans are available.

2 Likes

@terryj.05jc0v

In addition to the information offered by @rolandh I would note that the model number XT2063-2 applies to [at least] the Edge 2020 and 2021 handsets.

Further in order to be compatible with the new RW 5.0 plan features the handset you purchase must also have an IMEI that starts with 35552611. This portion of the IMEI, also known as the TAC. (I don’t know what the acronym TAC stands for, just that it is the first 8 digits of the IMEI and can be ‘decoded’ to tell the features that a certain range of those phones have built in.) So if 5.0 compatibility is your goal try to ensure that any Edge handsets you acquire have that TAC.

SeePhone Compatibility on 5.0 Plans for reference.

Hope this helps,
glarepate

learning something new
TAC{Type Allocation Code}

1 Like

@drm186

Thank you for your follow-up on this issue. I appreciate your consideration and effort in providing that new – at least to me – information.

I am hoping that I retain it as it may very well be frequently useful since the TAC can be a critical element in satisfactory selection of a handset. This process is already more than “geeky” enough…Good on ya!

Sincerely,
glarepate

1 Like