Upgrading RW Moto G5 plus with Moto G6 phone (BYOP)

I’m upgrading one of my daughters moto g5 plus phones (current Republic Wireless phone) with a moto g6 phone purchased from Amazon. Can I just use the same sim card? Both phones seem very similiar, both are capable of GSM and CDMA. Thanks for any help :slight_smile:

Hi @marylandravens

Maybe! If the SIM in the G5 is GSM you should be able to pop it into the G6.
Here is how to tell if your SIM is GSM or CDMA
Is My Republic Wireless SIM Card CDMA or GSM?

1 Like

Thanks for commenting so fast. I looked and the sim in the moto G5 is a GSM. So I’ll give that a try once I order it. If I have problems with it I’ll just go through RW and order another one :slight_smile: Thanks again.

2 Likes

Hi @marylandravens,

Would you mind linking to the one you’re planning to order so we can verify it’s compatible?

1 Like

Sure I searched on a model number I found on another RW chat… PAAE0008US https://www.amazon.com/Moto-G6-Unlocked-T-Mobile-Exclusive/dp/B07CFMSWXD/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=PAAE0008US&qid■■■■s=gateway&sr=8-1&th=1

1 Like

@marylandravens - and the following might help once you verify, as @southpaw suggests, that the phone you plan to buy is compatible.

1 Like

Ok, thanks! That looks good.

1 Like

Thanks again… I was just replacing my 12 year old’s phone, and the G6 with 3 gb of ram seemed to be almost better than the G7 play (2gb or ram) and 60 dollars less. Thanks, RW is awesome, hope you guys stay strong. I know it’s a competitive market since Xfinity and other copy cats are out there now.

1 Like

Thanks… I saved the directions. :slight_smile:

:+1: - Go Ravens!

@marylandravens - Don’t know how important it is to you to move information from the old phone to the new one. But here’s a great overview on moving content: How to Transfer Contacts, Photos, Text messages and Other Info to Your New Phone

We used the SMS Backup and Restore to move both text messages and call log from our old Moto G1’s to new Moto G6’s.

Hope this helps!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer