Upgrading to new Phone with BYOP

Hello,

Well after several years my Moto X Gen2 is on its last legs as the battery no longer holds a charge. As such, it’s time to upgrade to a new phone. Now based on what I am reading, is it correct I will not be able to keep my Refund Plan? Beyond that, think I have settled on a Moto G Power as I am not looking to spend that much. Normally I would purchase from Republic Store like I did with my original Moto X Gen2, but I found the Moto G Power is on sale at multiple retailers for $180. After reading some posts it seems price matching does not seem to be an option on the Republic store, so I would like to purchase elsewhere and BYOP to Republic.

Will a Moto G Power purchased from any of the below websites be usable for BYOP program?

https://www.motorola.com/us/smartphones-moto-g-power/p

If yes, I just need to also purchase this below SIM card from the Republic Store as well?

Thank you

Hi @Seraphic and welcome to the Member Community.

According to the information in this Tips & Tricks article the Moto G Power needs to be Model XT2041-4 which is the model number clearly stated in the Amazon link you provided. Not sure about the one linked from Target. Maybe one of the other members can confirm if it’s compatible using the information in that link.

You are correct that you will need to purchase a SIM for the BYOP. If you are an Amazon Prime member you can get the SIM kit at Amazon for $1 plus free shipping – See this link. The SIM will be for GSM service (T-Mobile). If you’ll share your zip code (only) other members can help determine if GSM or CDMA service would be best for your area.

Here’s the process for getting a CDMA SIM if that is what you need for the best coverage.

You should also read the following How To for upgrading from a Legacy plan.

Hope this helps! Please come back if you have any questions :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. In that case I will purchase from Amazon as the model is clearly started there and the SIM on Amazon is indeed $1 so I will purchase that too just to have it. What are the pros/cons of GSM and CDMA can you switch back and forth between them or one or can only use one of the other? I travel between tri-state NY/NJ/CT which one should I use?

1 Like

Good Morning @Seraphic,

Please allow me to provide some context regarding Republic’s coverage options. Republic provisions cellular coverage with one of two network partners. One partner operates a GSM network and is T-Mobile. Republic’s other partner operates a CDMA network and is Sprint. T-Mobile and Sprint have merged, however, the networks remain separate. Cellular coverage is provisioned with one network or the other not both simultaneously.

Both networks offer nationwide coverage, however, all networks have gaps in coverage. Generally, in the tri-state area, I would expect either network to be robust, however, if you’d like us to opine as to whether one would be better than the other for your area, a zip code or two would help us best help you.

Or, since it’s only an extra $1, grab the GSM SIM from Amazon with the phone. Should you find the attached coverage lacking, please reach out to Republic and inquire about switching to CDMA.

1 Like

Hello rolandh.

That for clarification. But I do not recall having to choose SIM cards when I purchased my Moto X Gen2 from the Republic store. Is this new or just part of the newer plans? I would assume current phone is GSM network?

My zip is 12533 as you requested.

Unfortunately, seems I missed out on the phone sale as the prices are back to $250 everywhere now. I held off on buying until I sorted out this SIM Card issue. Guess I will have to hope that there is another sale near black Friday. @_@

Indeed, you didn’t. There is only one cellular coverage option (Sprint network) on older Republic phones.

Most but not all newer Republic compatible phones may use either GSM (T-Mobile network) or CDMA (Sprint network) coverage. A few newer Republic compatible phones are only able to use GSM (T-Mobile network) coverage.

For technical reasons, Republic does not make CDMA (Sprint network) SIMs available for public sale. The bring your own SIM publicly sold by Republic offers GSM (T-Mobile network) coverage. For those who need CDMA coverage for a newer compatible phone, Republic documents how to make that request here: How to Request a 3.0 CDMA SIM Card – Republic Help.

For that zip code, GSM (T-Mobile network) coverage looks to be good to excellent, so I expect Republic’s bring your own SIM would work for you.

I’m very sorry about that. For what it’s worth, I suggested in yesterday’s reply that you might consider grabbing the bring your own SIM at Amazon for the additional $1 then switching to CDMA later, if necessary.

I wouldn’t be surprised if that were the case. You might also keep an eye out for good prices on one of Google’s Pixels. They’re really good phones also.

1 Like
Message an
Expert customer