Use for GPS in France

I have Moto G 3rd Gen. and will be in France for 3 weeks. Is there a way to use some sort walking GPS without incurring international rates? I really won’t be using it for phone service.
Thanks

Republic offers no international service, so you won’t need to worry about incurring any roaming fees. However, when you’re connected to unrestricted WiFi networks, you can call/text both US and Canadian numbers for free.

Now, your phone can communicate with the GPS satellites without cellular service, but you need a map downloaded to your phone to so it isn’t searching for the map images online. I recommend Here Maps, which allows you to download either the entire map of France if your phone storage allows or just the region you will be visiting.

Thank you so much. I’ll download Here we Go.

you can also download areas of google maps for offline use. I haven’t used Here We Go but I am going to check it out. :slight_smile:

I’ll also try google maps, thanks.

Heads up!

I actually tried using Google maps offline while in London. While you can see where you are, there are these notes from Google with the first one being the most important.

• You can get driving directions offline, but not transit, bicycling, or walking directions.
  • You won’t have traffic info, alternate routes, or lane guidance.
  • You can’t change routes, like avoiding tolls or ferries.

While you cannot use an international SIM with the old Refund phones, you also have the option to bring along a “international” hotspot that can convert a cell signal to wifi.

Thanks for the heads up. I’m working with the "Here " app right now. I’ll not bother with Google. Thanks for saving me time.