Using Phones in the US Virgin Islands (St. Croix)

Can we use our Republic Wireless phones in St. Croix? The whole family will be there, half of whom have Republic phones. If there’s Wi-Fi, the calling is free? And if we’re out around town, can we call each other for free?

There will be no cell service anywhere outside US. You will have the same service on wifi, as you do at home. Meaning, you can call/text the US/Canada, but not local numbers. There will be no usable emergency calling while there. (If you made an emergency call it would be routed over wifi to a US dispatch center based on your e911 address).

I recommend that once there you put your phone in airplane mode and then manually turn wifi back on. This will keep your phone from searching for a cell signal it will never find (and very rapidly draining your battery), but still allow you to use the only capabilities that will work there.

If you’re using one of the newer phones (not the Moto Defy, X1, X2, G1, G3, E1 or E2) you can also obtain a local SIM card, and place it in your phone for use while abroad. There is some great information here: International Travel with a Republic Phone

according to the terms of service the US Virgin Islands are a “Per Call Country” which means if the underlying carrier has covers so will Republic (though Republic reserves the right to charge $0.50 a minute)

https://republicwireless.com/legal/terms-and-conditions

“International” means anywhere outside of the 48 contiguous United States, Alaska, Hawaii, and the Per Call Countries, which are Puerto Rico, Guam, US Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Northern Mariana Islands, Johnston Atoll, Midway Atoll, and Wake Island.

“Per Call Country” means the following protectorates, territories, or other geographic areas: Puerto Rico, Guam, US Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Northern Mariana Islands, Johnston Atoll, Midway Atoll, and Wake Island. Republic Wireless reserves the right to charge You fifty cents ($0.50) per minute when You place a call to or from a Per Call Country or receive a call from a Per Call Country.

So YS Virgin Islands

So US Virgin Islands is considered international, even though it is a US territory? We do have a newer phone, so can get a local sim card if we need to.

Let me know for sure. I can’t find any specific list of covered US territories. And thanks for the Airplane mode tip!

DRM is indeed correct. You should have coverage in St. Croix. Somehow I missed it was one of the USVI.

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.