Voice-To-Text Does Not Work When Cell Data Is Turned on Within Settings

What phone do you have? Moto Power

What plan are you on? My Choice

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text? Talk and Text

Issue Description

I am running a brand new Moto Power. When I am on wifi, gboard voice-to-text works fine. When I am off wifi and mobile data is turned on voice-to-text does not work. If I am off wifi and mobile data is turned off voice-to-text works. I have turned off background data access for gboard but it dosent change anything. Is there a way to turn of data access for gboard all together without turning it off completely on the whole phone? If I turn data off then I can not send sms so I have to leave it on.

I dont have data on my phone plan so when not connected to wifi gboard seems to be trying to access the internet but cant so it dosent work. So when I turn mobile data off for the whole phone it goes to the downloaded language instead of trying to access the internet. How can I make it use local files only all the time?
Maybe there is a solution I am not thinking of?

Hi @CGS

I’m afraid I don’t have a solution but I do have something you can try.

Turn on Data Freeze in the Republic app. This turns off apps’ access to cell data but allows talk and text to continue working.

To do that, open the Republic Wireless app on your phone.
Touch the gear-shaped icon in the upper right corner of the app screen
Select “Data Tools”
Make sure the Data Freeze toggle is flipped to the Right or ON position.

Please let us know if this helps.

Hi @CGS

Welcome to the Community :slight_smile:

Please give this a try:

Turn back background data back on. Then in that same area of the Gboard setting go to “Storage & Cache” and clear both. Then a restart of the phone (never hurts to try a restart :wink: )

Please let us know if it help.

Sorry meant to send this to @CGS

Here is an excerpt from Gboard Configuration that may give you another direction (at least something to think about :slight_smile:

Manage Offline speech recognition packages:

1. Open Gboard Settings
  2. Tap Voice typing under settings menu
  3. Tap on Offline speech recognition to manage offline package downloads.
  4. On tapping Download Language screen will open which shows Language packs available for downloading, installed language packs and Auto-update settings to manage pack downloading automatically.
  5. Under All heading you can view list of language packs available for downloading. Tap on language you want to install and tap DOWNLOAD or CANCEL link from the pop-up screen. If DOWNLOAD link is tapped the pack starts getting downloaded and will be displayed under Installed heading once the download is successfully completed. Depends the size of the pack it may take some time to download.
  6. Under Installed heading all the installed packs with their downloaded size displayed. Tap on any language to uninstall the downloaded packs. You can not uninstall all packs as at least one language pack need to be available always.
  7. Under Auto-update heading you can manage the automation of pack downloads. You can choose to disable automated downloads or configure the auto-update downloading source either from mobile data connection or Wi-Fi as the files size is bigger which may result in consumption of data bandwidth.
1 Like

@SuperT @johnny5 @jben I have tried this and still get the same results. Voice to text will only work when phone is completely offline or on wifi.

1 Like

Thanks for checking and for getting back to us.

Hi @CGS,

I beleive what you’ve described is an accurate description of how it works and there is no configuration that will circumvent this behavior.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer