Voice to text not working

What phone do you have?
Moto X (1st Gen)
What plan are you on?
WiFi and Cell Talk and Text and 3G Data (Moto X) (1st Gen.)
Does your plan include data, or just talk & text?
data on one phone but just talk and text on the other phone

Issue Description

Several days ago, both my Moto X and my wife’s Moto X lost our voice to text function. The mic function works when I open Google and ask a question but does not work when creating a text message. The mic icon is visible but it just won’t turn on the mic. I have shut the phones off and then restarted them but nothing changes. Odd that they would both quit at the same time. I have gone through settings but can’t find anything that will bring this function back to life. Any ideas? Thanks.

Hi @lloydp.118quc and welcome to the Member Community. I would start by making sure the Google Messages app is up to date. Think there was an update issued the last week or so.

Others might have some other suggestions too!

This has been happening a lot lately. The solutions is to go to Settings – Apps and select “Gboard” and then “Clear Data” for the Gboard App. That solves it.

1 Like

What kind of data would I lose? All my previous test messages?

No important data will be lost by clearing the Gboard caches as suggest by @louisdi.
It’s safe to do. :slight_smile:

Thanks for your help. I got them both working properly now.

1 Like

Thanks for your help, too.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer