Voicemail and text-messages late Samsung Galaxy J7

Voicemail and text-messages late, sometimes days late in arriving.

What phone do you have?
Samsung Galaxy J7

What plan are you on?
Talk & text

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text?
talk & text

Issue Description

This has been going on for months. I've been ill so I am just getting around to seeking help. Text messages can be as much as 3 days late. Voicemail is not that bad, but by the time I get a notification, it can be late. I've gone through the settings and ensured that notifications were set for voicemail and text messages. I'm using Anywhere for text messages.

Hi @mwc,

Welcome back to our Community, and I’m sorry to read that you’ve been ill. I hope you’re doing better now.

I wonder if you could take a moment to study the situation for one additional clue? You said that text message can be as much as three days late. Would it be possible to determine whether these late text messages include only MMS? (Text messages with groups or people or text message that include an attachment like a photo.) Or do the late text messages also include plain text-only message with only one other person?

Here’s why I’m asking… voicemail notifications and MMS both use a messaging protocol called MQTT. If your Wi-Fi network blocks MQTT then your voicemail and MMS would be delayed until the phone has an MQTT connection.

If however, even plain text messages are included among those delivered late, then we need to look at other possible causes and solutions.

Hi, Southpaw–

Sorry to get back to you so late. Unfortunately, I’ve gotten a little sicker, which has slowed me down.

All my calls seem to be cellular, even though I’m right next to my hard drive/modem with Wi-Fi on. (I should probably drop the 1G and go to talk and text. I got the 1G for use in the hospital.)

Do I need to turn off Wi-Fi on my computer?

Cheers,

Marian

Hi @mwc,

It sounds like perhaps your Wi-Fi network is not providing a signal the phone can consistently use to deliver your calls and text messages.

We have members here in our Community who can walk you through testing your Wi-Fi network and maybe making some changes to improve the situation. It can be daunting if you’re not particularly well-versed in modems and routers, but can be well worth the effort.

Please let us know when you feel up to the task. Feeling better should be your primary concern right now.

If you need to make sure you’re getting your voicemail and text messages and suspect your Wi-Fi network is preventing them from reaching you, then you don’t want to turn it off for the computer - instead turn off Wi-Fi or forget your home network on your phone, and just use the cellular data you’ve purchased. I’ve placed a $5 discount on your account for your next two billing cycles so that your 1 GB of data is on us, to give you some time to work through this.

I’ve taken a look at your account and there may be some cellular coverage quality concerns at your address. It’d be interested in knowing how many “bars” of signal your phone shows you when you’re home and Wi-Fi is turned off.

Hi–

Your April 24th email included this:

"It sounds like perhaps your Wi-Fi network is not providing a signal the phone can consistently use to deliver your calls and text messages.

We have members here in our Community who can walk you through testing your Wi-Fi network and maybe making some changes to improve the situation. It can be daunting if you’re not particularly well-versed in modems and routers, but can be well worth the effort.

Please let us know when you feel up to the task. Feeling better should be your primary concern right now."

I am feeling better and would welcome directions. I have a CenturyLink modem. I purchased a router years ago but never used it.

I really appreciate your help.

Cheers,
Marian

Hi @mwc,

I’m very surprised to see that none of our Community members stepped in here to help you troubleshoot this issue.

When your phone is connected to your Wi-Fi network, and you touch the top of the screen and drag your finger down, you should see a notification with the Republic Wireless arc that describes how your messages and calls are being delivered. Could you tell us whether the arc is solid white, and what that notification says?

A friend showed me how to drag down the top of the screen. It’s now set for Wi-Fi. Everything seems to be working okay. Thanks!

1 Like

I’m very glad to hear everything seems to be working now! I hope you are doing better, too.

Sorry your question here fell silent for so long!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer