Voicemail shenanigans! Strange messages, no voicemail tab in phone app?

What phone do you have?
Moto G6

What plan are you on?
My Choice +1GB
Does your plan include data, or just talk & text?
With data.

Issue Description

Recently my voicemail has been acting strangely. If I dismiss an incoming call, I shortly get a voicemail notification. The message is usually something that doesn’t make sense, like an automated recording of “the number you have dialed is not in service”, random background sounds, or a fax machine. This morning I had one, clicked on the voicemail drawer notification but can’t access the voicemail itself. There’s no tab for voicemail in the phone app, just Favorites, Recents and Contacts.

Also, I have an outgoing call to Voicemail in TX? (I Don’t live in Texas)

Rebooting the phone didn’t do anything.

Android Pie 9
Phone app is 62.0.360486235

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Hello @samuelr.jl1hno We’re seeing some issues around the latest Phone App update. It appears (based on a small number of customers, that going to Settings – Apps and finding the Phone App and then uninstalling the updates, restores normal functionality. Can you give that a try?

3 Likes

Thanks @louisdi That worked for me. For what it’s worth, I have a Moto X4 running Android 9.
I appreciate your help! Now I can stop pulling out my hair…

The app seems to be working correctly now, I can see my voicemails again. All of the recent messages are a fax machine beeping/trying to connect. Must be there’s money to be made spamming/scamming people with fax machines?

It doesn’t explain why I’m getting voicemails with audio that you would expect to hear if you had placed the call itself, so that’s still very strange.

Thanks!

today i received a voicemail - but the voicemail tab disappeared from the phone app (now there is only “favorites”, “Recents”, and “Contacts”. I liked being able to see the number/date and time of the voicemail what happened. (probably a software “upgrade” ?) I tried many things to bring it back without any luck

@thebreen I took the liberty of moving your post to an existing thread on this topic. Please see my response above which should resolve the issue that you’re having.

I found the phone app but there is no option to uninstall updates - if i uninstall the phone app then reinstall it i would expect the same version (62.0.360486235)

i got there by:
Settings
Apps & notifications
See all 102 apps, then scrolled down to “Phone”

Tap Phone and then on the right top you should see three stacked dots. Tap there, is there no “uninstall updates” option there?

got it and now its back, thank you
version is now 45.0.298681012

1 Like

Moto G
What phone do you have?

What plan are you on? $20.00 month

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text? yes

I’ve used this phone for months, no problem with voicemail. My icon for voice mail has vanished. I try to dial the voicemail to listen and it tells me my pin is not correct. So I’m not able to check voicemail at all.

I’m experiencing this problem too?

Hi @wendyw.3z3bu1 and @sarag.lmxap4 ,

Please try this solution:

1 Like

Thanks for that. I have a Moto G Stylus 2021 with that issue.

Also, it helped me when I had to dial in to voicemail (since the tab was gone) that putting it on speaker and pressing the buttons longer when entering my pin worked well.

1 Like

I have uninstalled phone app but it still did not restore old voicemail icon at bottom of phone app. Any other thoughts?

I have a Pixel 4A. I have uninstalled/reinstalled the Republic app and uninstalled the phone app updates. Even with a restart, I at best get a one-time reappearance of the voicemail button, or a quick flash of it before it disappears again.

I would rather not activate visual voicemail to fix this problem. Is there another solution or a fix in the works?

Please see the solution here: Visual Voicemails Suddenly Missing – Republic Help (republicwireless.com)

You can get the Voicemail tab back by turning it on in phone app settings Voicemail section. Worked for me.

Hi @blivets,

Yes, this is an option for phones using our GSM SIM Card. It is not an option for phones using a CDMA SIM card. So rather than add extra confusion making people have to look into what kind of SIM card they have, we are providing a workaround that works in both cases.

The solution you’ve described also leads to this question:

2 Likes

I have a Pixel 3a and a Moto X4. I can uninstall and stop auto-updates on the X4 but uninstalling the phone app by Google on the Pixel 3a only works right in the moment. When I go back into the phone app the voicemail tab disappears and it’s back to square one. I have to do the process of uninstalling again and each and everytime I want to see a voicemail.

Has anyone had any luck with the Pixels?

1 Like
Message an
Expert customer