Voicemails from "Unknown Number"

spam

I have a Moto G4 Plus on the current $15 + $5 per GB data plan.

I have been receiving calls for almost a month now from a telemarketer who blocks their number to keep me from seeing it. (They use the same recording so I’m pretty sure it’s the same telemarketer.) The Republic Wireless app filters it out from showing up as a call, but a voicemail still appears because of a design feature of the app.

Are there any recommended apps that will filter out these voicemails? I was hoping the Republic app would do so, but that may be a design decision on their part. I personally can’t think of a circumstance where I would want to talk to or get a voicemail from any unknown or concealed phone number.

Hi @skotwidhu
Welcome to the Republic Wireless community!
You might try this link that shows how to turn on caller id and spam protection:
Use caller ID & spam protection

Here is some helpful information as well:
How to Prevent Spam Callers From Leaving Voicemail

Blocking Calls on Android Phones

Android has built-in call blocking, similar to iOS. Just tap a number in your call log and hit Block/report spam. And like Apple, this method has the two same drawbacks.

Android also has the option in the Phone app settings to automatically identify and block suspected spam calls so they don’t ring your device. It should be on by default, but you can check by going to Settings in your Phone app, then Caller ID & spam, and make sure both the Caller ID & spam and Filter spam calls switches are toggled on. This feature still sends those calls to voicemail, however.

Hope this helps. But check in, others might have app or other solutions! :relaxed:

Hi @skotwidhu,

If the Republic Wireless app is filtering these calls, then theoretically it’s possible to keep them from going to voicemail as follows:

1. Open the Republic app.
  2. Tap the gear icon upper right.
  3. Tap Call and Voicemail Settings.
  4. Tap Configure spam call blocking.
  5. Select Block spam calls & voicemails.

If the above doesn’t help, then the Republic app isn’t blocking the calls.

While this is potentially useful advice, it applies only to phones using Google’s newer Phone app. If one’s phone isn’t using Google’s app (not all Android phones do), I’m afraid this won’t be an option for you.

I’ve read through the entire linked article and unless I’ve missed something, I don’t see a method for blocking calls when the caller is actively blocking Caller ID on their end. The reality is on phone blocking generally reqiires being able to see the Caller ID, which is not possible when the caller is actively blocking that.

Candidly, I’m unaware of an effective blocking method when the caller is actively blocking Caller ID on their end.

1 Like

This is the part which seems the most unusual to me; it’s surely not a novel concept to block any call that doesn’t have a phone number associated with it. Could there be some FCC regulation or standard within the phone system’s technology that keeps this from actually working?

automatically bumped #5
automatically bumped #6

I feel like it’s worth posting that the calls have tapered off for now, but I’m still looking for an answer if anyone has any insight (if more for curiosity now).

It’s been years since I’ve received a spam call from a blocked number. So, I can’t speak for how effective these measures will be for blocking them. Most of the calls that I tend to get are spoofed numbers, which shouldn’t even be physically possible, if anyone actually did their job right, but here we are anyways.

That said, my “cure” has been to enable the RW spam blocker, make sure the phone app spam blocker is enabled and I download the free version of Mr Number and enable the feature that blocks any calls not on my contact list. If anyone important calls, they’ll leave a message and I’ve taken to adding the numbers for any business or service I actively want to get past Mr Number. Why even bother with the other spam filters? Well, Mr Number tends to let it ring once or twice before it blocks the call. It’s not a perfect cure but it works well enough that I haven’t been tempted to write my own blocker app.

automatically bumped #9
automatically bumped #10
automatically bumped #11

I’m sorry to be replying to this so late. There isn’t an inherent reason blocking calls where Caller ID is being suppressed is impossible. That said, most phone manufacturers do not provide a way of doing so on the phone and Google (who controls Android) limits “blocking” to sending calls to voicemail.

For Republic to add the feature would require it be done on the network rather than the phone. In my opinion, an optional toggle added to Republic’s existing spam blocking efforts is an idea worthy of consideration.

1 Like
automatically bumped #13
Message an
Expert customer