VOIP recognized during registrations

This is an issue I am having. When I register my phone number on some government websites, I get an error message that states, VOIP Numbers cannot be registered. I never thought to ask this before. But, is my phone number a VOIP Number? Thanks.

Hi @markm.86udv3 and welcome to the Community!

In short, yes. Please allow me to provide some context. Republic numbers are indeed Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP). Republic’s use of VoIP is part of the nature of its’ blended WiFi/cell service. VoIP is the technology powering the WiFi portion of Republic’s blended service.

Some service providers object to VoIP numbers because according to the FCC, they are landlines (wireline is the more correct industry term) and these providers believe VoIP numbers are incapable of receiving text messages. There is nothing Republic can do to change this regulatory classification. As you know, your Republic number is fully capable of receiving both calls and text messages.

Other service providers believe VoIP numbers are a security risk. With regard to Republic numbers, they are wrong about this, however, Republic cannot control the policy decisions of others.

You might consider asking the service provider(s) in question about whitelisting (making an exception for) your Republic number. Some will do so, others won’t.

1 Like

Thank you for the quick reply. I’ll try your suggestion.

Message an
Expert customer