Volume button won't increase

Info

Phone Brand: <Moto G
Phone Model: 3rd gen
Plan: <Basic plan
Plan Data: yes

Issue Description

Within the last week my volume key will not increase. I can lower it to vibrate but it will not increase when I activate the volume button to increase the volume .I go to sittings, Sound & notification and the Ring volume icon is just grey. If I reboot the phone it will decrease and increase the volume just fine. Through out the day it will go back to not increasing the volume. Since this time I have now received a (SIM card error) telling me there is no SIM card in my phone or there is a fault with the SIM card. Phone is 17 mo old. My wife has the same phone and apps installed, hers is working fine.

Let’s see if clearing the Android System Cache/Partition corrects the issue. It may take up to 20 minutes to complete, it will NOT delete any personal information:

1. Turn off your phone and remove any charging cables.

2. With the phone off, press and hold both the VOL DOWN and POWER buttons at the same time for 2-3 seconds, then release both buttons.

3. The phone will display some information about the phone, and will have “Start” highlighted at the top right of the screen. Use VOL DOWN to scroll through the options to RECOVERY MODE and press the POWER button to select.

4. The phone will display the Motorola logo, then the Android figure lying down with an exclamation point with the words No Command underneath. Press and hold the POWER button and tap the VOL UP button. Note: If you wait too long to perform this step, the phone will reboot and you’ll need to start the process again.

5. The phone will display additional menu options, with text in blue. Use the VOL DOWN button to scroll to Wipe Cache Partition and press the POWER button to select it. The cache wipe will begin immediately.

6. After the Cache Wipe is complete, the blue text menu items will reappear, with “Reboot system now” highlighted. Press the POWER button to select it.

Here’s a link to the document that these instructions are from:

1 Like

I will give this a try and let you know if this worked. I’ll give it a day or so .
Thank you
James

2 Likes

Sounds good!

Wanted to let you know everything is working great. Thank you for the solution.
James

1 Like

You’re very welcome and glad to be of assistance!

Well, It stopped again increasing the volume. I cleared the Android System cache/Partition again and after reboot received the message (SIM card error) telling me there is no SIM card in my phone or there is a fault with the SIM card. Could the SIM card be the problem.

The SIM card error is likely unrelated. SIM Card Errors on 1.0 and 2.0 Phones

1 Like

Please see my reply to your message.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer