Want to stay with 2.0 plan

I am a neophyte when it comes to mobile phones so I want to confirm I’m doing the right thing.

I have a 2.0 refund plan with 2 phones for my son and I so have an awesome average bill of around $28/mo. My son has a Moto G 1st Gen so when I saw the Moto G4 Play was on sale I went to order a new one for him. I was very disappointed to see I couldn’t add that phone to my 2.0 plan. A 3.0 plan will cost about $10/mo more so I’m not going there.

From my digging around, it looks like I can buy a new Moto G 3rd Gen for around the same price as the Moto G4 Play. Is there any specific feature I need to look for or will any Moto G 3rd Gen phone work? I found one on Amazon titled “Motorola Moto G (3rd Generation) - Black - 16 GB - Global GSM Unlocked Phone” but I’m not sure what the GSM is or whether it matters. Do I also need to buy a SIM card? I see that Amazon sells RW SIMs as well.

My wife is interested in taking my son’s Moto G and starting a RW 2.0 plan so taking the SIM from his old phone isn’t an option (if it’s even possible).

I’d appreciate it if someone could confirm my understanding and answer the questions I have about buying a new Moto G 3rd Gen.

Thanks!

a New Moto G 3rd would be the unlock GSM version which will not work on Republic network

Only the Custom ROM Republic Version of the Moto G 3rd will work,on the 2.0 Refund plan these phones are out of production and sold out since late October 2016

they can be found on the used market (eBay, Swappa Craigslist) Buying and Selling Used Republic Wireless Phones

(GSM is the cell technology used by AT&T, T-Mobile, and most of the world)

(CDMA is the Cell technology used by Sprint, Verizon, a few Canadian carriers)

Republic 1.0/2.0 both uses Sprint as the CDMA Partner (no GSM)

3.0 plans did add an option of GSM network (T-Mobile)

Message an
Expert customer