What are the implications for me as a RW customer from the new STIR/SHAKEN caller ID anti-spoofing technology?

What are the implications for RW regarding the new STIR/SHAKEN protocols to flag caller ID spoofing?

I see news articles that various cell providers are implementing this protocol that will indicate if a caller ID has been spoofed. What does that mean for me as a RW customer?

I still get a lot of spam calls and virtually every one has a spoofed number. Is this something that RW will need to implement as well or will it come along as a free ride from the underlying RW providers?

Hi @robg.ev3gek,

My understanding is STIR/SHAKEN is to be implemented at the carrier level and by industry definition Republic is not a carrier. Carriers own telephone networks making Republic a service provider rather than a carrier. So, my hopefully reasonably informed opinion is it will take the efforts of one or more of Republic’s partners to make STIR?SHAKEN a reality for Republic’s members.

For what it’s worth, I’m not convinced STIR/SHAKEN will be the silver bullet in defeating spam it’s being portrayed by some as. That said, every arrow in the quiver helps.

Meanwhile, if you haven’t already tried:

2 Likes

TMobile and AT&T have now implemented STIR/SHAKEN according to this:

Specifically, the article says:

When a call is made between the AT&T and T-Mobile networks, a cell phone user may see a notification that the incoming call has been authenticated, meaning that it really is coming from the number listed in the Caller ID field.

If I’m remembering correctly, T-Mobile provides the RW cellular service, but it sounds like RW could start showing us “Authenticated ID” messages for some incoming calls. Is that a change on RWs end and/or does it require a certain dialer or Android version?

This is a feature I’d like to see sooner rather than later.

Because I’m a phone geek I currently have phones activated with Republic, Verizon, Cricket, AT&T and T-Mobile. So far, I’m finding Stir/Shaken to be completely useless. It has been terrific at telling me that the calls from my wife are indeed from my wife, but that’s never been the issue. Of the dozens of calls I get a week the ones that I don’t know whether to pick-up are from folks I don’t know. As most of them don’t come from AT&T or T-Mobile, nothing is displayed. Does this mean they’re spam? Nope. Also, those that come with the authenticated notification just tells me they didn’t spoof their number. Does this mean it’s not spam? Nope. It’s great after the fact because I can block the number, but eh.

So far it has saved me from answering a total of 0 spam calls. Until ALL calls from ALL carriers are authenticated, this is nothing but a useless novelty. And even then, just knowing a number isn’t spoofed doesn’t really tell you who is calling or if they’re a bill collector, spammer or otherwise.

1 Like

Yes, it will certainly be much more effective once all of the calls are being screened through Stir/Shaken.

It won’t tell you the person on the other end of the phone is a spammer but what it will do is offer clues. I live in Texas; if I’m getting a call from Vermont, it’s going to phone mail because I don’t know anyone in Vermont and don’t do business with anyone there.

Obviously someone calling from a forged ID is a spam caller.

Much more importantly, the services like Hiya or NoMoRobo that use databases to tag phone numbers as spam callers will become useful again. NoMoRobo was incredibly helpful for a long time until most of the spam calls started forging their caller ID info, then it became near useless.

I should add that Android desperately needs to allow call screeners like Hiya the ability to disconnect incoming callers that it identifies as spam without sending them to voicemail. I don’t want 10 spam calls in my voicemail either.

That’s the issue. Just because a call isn’t authenticated, doesn’t mean it is forged ID. A tiny percentage of overall calls originate on AT&T or T-Mobile cellular networks. Every other call comes through as unauthenticated. Even a perfectly legitimate business using AT&Ts landline services come through as unauthenticated as does every perfectly legitimate caller that isn’t originating on those two cellular networks. In my book, that makes it utterly useless.

Right, that’s the case now. The question is what will it be like in a year? 2 years? My guess is that pressure will build on the companies that aren’t supporting it because their callers will increasingly be screened.

On a different note, why would a company using AT&T’s landline services come through as unauthenticated? Is it just mobile carriers that are doing this now?

AT&T has launched it only for their wireless service. That’s my point, at this point it is so limited that it doesn’t make sense to even be thinking about it. In two years, sure.

It’s still quite vague as to implementation, however, Republic’s former corporate parent and current number hosting partner (Bandwidth) is a signatory: Major Phone Service Providers Agree to Plan to Slow Robocallers.

Edited to add some more from Bandwidth itself: What Is STIR/SHAKEN and How Does It Impact Robocalling?

Message an
Expert customer