What can I do about all these spam calls?

I live in the Southwest and am a classical music fan, Mozart being my favorite composer and Amadeus (1984) my favorite movie. I am also a history buff and have been in to American and Western European history since I can remember. I am a genealogy nut–have been all my life–and published several family histories. I have been volunteering at my local library since before retirement in 2014.

I have been a Republic Wireless customer for about five years, and from the beginning, I have been bombarded with spam calls and it’s still ongoing. Today I received a message from RW titled: AN IMPORTANT MESSAGE ABOUT THE PRIVACY OF YOUR CUSTOMER PROPRIETARY NETWORK INFORMATION (OR CPNI).

I wanted a cell/wireless phone for texting, receiving email, and to make calls. Because of the number of spam calls I get every day, I do not believe that RW cares about the privacy of my cell numbers or preferences. I am on the verge of switching to another service. Convince me to stay with RW.

RMW

Sounds like your enjoying your retirement!
You are not alone on the spam calls … this is not anything that is limited to Republic Wireless, and on the newer phones (3.0) they have provided additional help using a 3rd party resource … it helps but is not a cure, and at this point it appears the cure may be a long time coming

• Here is a excerpt from Market Watch and just updated a couple days ago , see this recent item for some additional information

Sadly, scam and robocalls are on the rise year-round.
alf of all mobile calls are expected to be spam robocalls by the end of this year, according to call protection company First Orion, which analyzed data from 50 billion calls over 18 months. It found the percentage of spam phone calls has jumped from 3.7% of total calls in 2017 to 29.2% in 2018 — and it predicts that number will hit 44.6% by early 2019 before rising to half of all calls by year end.

1 Like

I would venture to guess that 75% of the calls I get are spam now. For about a year now, I have my phone set to only ring on PRIORITY calls (numbers that are in my contacts list). I do miss the occasional call that is important, but if they leave a message, I call them back immediately and add them as a contact (or the new number to an existing contact). Most spammers do not leave a message, except for this persistent one that insists I need a medical brace.
If someone can find an inexpensive phone service that kills 90+% of spam calls without missing ANY good ones, I would be willing to test drive it!

1 Like

Increasingly difficult if not impossible on mobile phones. Relatively plentiful options are available for Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) services intended to replace landlines but this topic is probably not the place for that conversation.

Hi @rosemaryw,

Thanks for introducing yourself in our Greetings and Introductions! topic.

Since you also brought up an issue with receiving many spam calls, and that’s worthy of its own conversation, I’ve moved your post so those interested in helping you or learning how to block spam calls will be more likely to see it.

1 Like

I can’t guarantee this will work for you, but it did for me. My contact list is extensive, so any call I get from a number that isn’t on it gets sent to voicemail. A couple of years doing that has reduced my spam calls to no more than 2 or 3 a week tops. I doubt there’s any possible way to get that down to zero. It seems best not to answer spam calls or, if you do, hang up immediately without saying a word. Don’t do anything they say you can do such as pressing 2 if you don’t want to be called again. That only tells them they reached a live person and will generate more calls, not fewer.

1 Like

Thanks to each person who replied with helpful hints and suggestions. I will stick with Republic for now.
rosemaryw

Nomorobo, have it on home phone, blocks 95% of all spam. Rings once then kills the call. I keep adding numbers to block as they come up. Waiting for RW to accept nomorobo for use with the service

That may or may not happen one day, however, Nomorobo has an app you might consider:

It gets decidedly mixed reviews and unlike Nomorobo’s “landline” service isn’t free.

1 Like

On my phone, most of the spam calls are from my area code and same 3 number prefix and my cell number. If i could block all calls with the same prefix i would do it…is there a way to do it? I like the idea of all numbers not in my address book to go to voice mail…is there a setting on MOTO X4 to do that?

nofear4by4:
I do this using the “Do Not Disturb” feature in Android 8.1 (I think you are on Android 9 though).
I set mine to “PRIORITY ONLY” and select “Until you turn off Do Not Disturb”.
I new icon will display on the top of your screen (a white circle with a dash inside it).
This way only numbers in your contact list ring your phone, the rest go to voicemail.
The problem is, you can miss important calls (ones that are NOT in your contact list).
You will have to add them as you go. I have been using this for a while now, and it works great unless you are expecting a service call and you have no idea of the number they will call from.

2 Likes

The Avast Mobile Security app includes a call blocker that lets you create a customized blacklist and it supports wildcards, - say your phone number is■■■■ and you don’t want any calls from anything 808-404, just put in a new entry “808-404*” and it will send all of them to voicemail (no,it doesn’t outright block them). Most spammers won’t leave voicemail. However, I’m not 100% certain that it allows numbers in your Contacts to ring through; You could test it, I suppose.

Android 8.1? geez, I’ve got a Moto G6, Android 8.0, and it reports " up to date. What kind of phone do you have?

This is a typical experience. Manufacturer’s don’t usually do interim updates other than occasional security patches. The G6 shipped with Android 8.0 and is unlikely to see 8.1. 8.1 has since been superseded by Android 9 Pie, which I believe the G6 will get (whenever Motorola gets around to that).

Ah, ok. thanks.

So has anyone here used the Nomorobo app? Does it work and play well with Republic’s spam blocker?

I use MALWAREBYTES on my MotoG3 and it works fine. They maintain a list of SPAM callers and you can add any number to their nationwide list [they validate first]. $20/year/device is the cost for [in my case] 2 PCs and 1 Cell. MalwareBytes is a "Comprehensive security that blocks malware and hackers. It protects you from threats that traditional antivirus isn’t smart enough to stop. " -and- “The same strong anti-malware engine for your desktop and laptop comes to the Android. Runs seamlessly in the background protecting you, and does a great job of keeping your system secure. Low resources and high, high-end benefits.”
Hi Southpaw, I’m just a plain old RW customer, not a solicitor for this SoftWare.
Jim

Thanks for this idea. I am on android 7 and did not see a “Until you turn off Do Not Disturb” setting, so i just set “priority only” for every day, same time today and next day (24 hours).

I would bet most of your spam calls are going to your “hidden number” I ported one of my numbers away from republic to sprint for the free year promo they have going and my spam calls all but disappeared even though I kept my number. Either that or sprint has some kind of spam blocking built in that I do not know about. My home line is through OOMA and they implement nomorobo for free.

Any telephone service provider that offers simultaneous ring can “implement” Nomorobo. Alas, I don’t know of a mobile phone service provider that offers simultaneous ring. Recognizing this, Nomorobo has developed an app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nomorobo. It doesn’t get great reviews and isn’t free but might be worth a try.

1 Like

I use Mr. Number, available for free at The Play Store. Works well, but some do still get through. Once they do, I kill the whole area code.

Message an
Expert customer