What Comcast Modems are compatible with Republic Wireless?

The modems that we use are important. My current modem does not always play nice with the Republic Wireless service. I am thinking about upgrading, but I struggle to find good current information. This list Republic Wireless and Your Wi-Fi Router | Republic Wireless Wiki | Fandom powered by Wikia does not appear to have a single modem currently approved by Comcast, my current ISP. (Comcast is the only ISP on my street, so while they are not my favorite ISP, they do service my street on the edge of town.)

Buying a random modem does not appear to be a great answer - e.g. my current modem.

What do you suggest? What do I look for in a modem to work well with Republic Wireless? I currently have a Moto X Gen 2 phone if that matters.

Thanks.

Do you mean modem or router?

You should have a comcast provided modem. Some of their modems come with an integrated router. They keep pushing for those as they can use those to set up additional “xfinity home” hotspots. Routers are fairly generic and should not have compatibility issues with a comcast modem. I have an old Linksys WRT54GL that works quite well. Comcast keeps sending me reminders of how they can give me a “free” new integrated modem+ router…but my good old WRT54GL is still running strong. Works just fine with Republic Wireless service.

@danielf.2idvvk

Att just updated my Modem/router all-in-one combo to a new 5g unit and actually I can’t tell the difference. All I can do is change names and passwords on it and all the tweaking settings I am locked out of. My voip is locked and not connected it says but with the Wifi connections my RW phones all work fine.

*** ~~ßocephous™***

edit: I don’t think it’s so much the modem but the router that does all the work. Stick with main brands, as you cant go wrong with a Linksys/Cisco . Amazon has some good sales here’s a nice one for about $100. https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Wireless-Dual-Band-Anywhere-EA6900/dp/B00EXK14S0/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1480648955&sr=8-… Don’t waste your time with the $29.99 deals.

Good Morning @danielf.2idvvk,

You might find this resource to be helpful: Republic Wireless and Your Wi-Fi Router | Republic Wireless Wiki | Fandom powered by Wikia.

I’ll be testing the ARRIS SURFboard SBG6782-AC over the next two days. It is a modem/router combination that works with Comcast and other cable providers. I’ll let you know how it works.

@danielf.2idvvk I finished testing the ARRIS SURFboard SBG6782-AC and am please to report it works with out-of-the-box settings except, of course, for changing the access password, SSIDs and wireless passwords. This is the unit I purchased for my SO’s condo:

Amazon.com: ARRIS SURFboard SBG6782-AC WiFi Modem Gateway (Certified Refurbished): Computers & Accessories

It is in like-new condition.

I tested it with both my S7 and her Moto X (1st Gen). Both phones were in Airplane Mode with WiFi turned on to insure the test calls were through the modem/router combination. The voice quality was superb in both directions.

I used the term modem because even though the term router was frequently used, I presumed - incorrectly it seems - that any reference “really” meant modem. In part because I only used switches in network settings for the past 15 years as they are better than routers in my applications, yet typically articles call such devices routers. I have never used a switch that offered any level of control. It just provides a basic lower level of network control and processes traffic faster than a router. I presumed that modems did all of the work and have only used modems with built-in “routers” for that reason. I have also owned my own modem for at least ten+ years, so I have not rented a modem from an ISP for a really long time.

I ordered a Comcast modem from Amazon. I then ordered a separate “router” that offered true QoS control, uploading and downloading. I paid a bit more, but wanted other features as well. Next week promises to be a busy week, but I will test and report - sometime.

Message an
Expert customer