What do i need to do to be sure that I get a CDMA phone?

What do i need to do to be sure that I get a CDMA phone?

Check your zip code here

Coverage Check | Republic Wireless

If it says "Great news… " with the note

Please note: “Bring your own phone” is not supported for your location at this time.

Then you will get a CDMA phone when you order it from RW.

If it just says “Great News…” without the above note then you may get a CDMA or GSM phone depending on how RW analyses your coverage.

RW feels this is the best way to ensure that members receive the best coverage feasible for their location. When you get your phone and if you find out that the coverage is unsatisfactory or you got GSM but you still prefer to get CDMA then please submit a help ticket.

don’t order the following phones

Huawei Ascend 5W,

Samsung Galaxy J3,

Motorola Moto Z, or a

Motorola Moto Z Play

as they are all GSM only phones

also all BYOD are GSM at this time

if for some reason they sent you a GSM phone create a ticket and they can convert it to CDMA (sending you a different SIM)

Republic Help

Just want to clarify

if for some reason they sent you a GSM phone create a ticket and they can convert it to CDMA (sending you a different SIM)

A GSM phone cannot be converted into a CDMA phone…specifically the GSM only phones listed above cannot be reconfigured for CDMA coverage.

However, if you pick any of the other phones that are capable of GSM and CDMA and if you initially got a GSM SIM card,

then you can submit a help ticket and RW Support can help you determine if switching to a CDMA SIM card on the same

phone can improve your coverage.

I keep getting answers the say " They can or they may" change. That is not good enough. I need a check here for CDMA on the order form. My address does not dictate where I plan to use the phone. My money , my choice. Right.

for what it’s worth I agree with you but Republic marketing research says that most customers don’t want to have to learn this and are confused by the options (way to think of their customers)

While Republic would prefer you give the system a chance, there is a workaround. That workaround is spelled out in bullet point 5 in this previous post from a Republic staffer: https://community.republicwireless.com/thread/65894-republic-wireless-coverage-update-and-cdma-availability?messageTarge…. In short, feed the coverage checker a zip code known to produce CDMA phones because Republic’s GSM partner lacks adequate coverage there. Pretty much, any zip in the state of Iowa will do the job. That you do not live, work or perhaps have never entered the state of Iowa does not matter.

For the record, I too would prefer that Republic offer explicit choice. They have their reasons (market research) for not doing so to date. In the interim, I can live with a workaround.

Message an
Expert customer