What does having 1GB Cell Data mean?

I’ve never had a cell phone. The $15 and the $20 plan both have unlimited talk, text, and wifi data, so the difference is the 1GB Cell Data. And I don’t have a clue.

Hi @sharone.6jtuot!

Data allows you to access the internet over a cellular tower when you don’t have access to Wi-Fi. You can use it to check email, browse social media, watch videos, download and play apps, etc. It essentially lets you do most of the taks you do on your home Wi-Fi network on the go. If you buy the $20 plan, you will have 1gb, which you mentioned. 1gb should more than suffice if you aren’t used to having data. You can read this blog article from Republic on what you can do with 1gb of data. If you decide you don’t need data, you can save the $5 and go with the Unlimited Wi-Fi data plan. You will still be able to browse the web, watch movies, etc., but you won’t be able to do it when you are away from Wi-Fi. All the 3.0 plans include unlimited Talk and Text both on Wi-Fi and Cellular. I hope that helps!

mb2x

You can connect to the Internet using WiFi or cell towers. With cellular data, you connect to the Internet using cell towers.

With WiFi you connect to the Internet using either public WiFi hot spots at Starbucks, McDonalds, library and other public locations or your home WiFi setup if you are paying for an Internet connection at home. Most of these public WiFi hot spots are free to use, but they may not be convenient.

On the old 2.0 plan, you just paid for the amount cellular data you actually used. This was a great benefit for those of us who only had a limited need to connect to the Internet using a cell tower. Sadly, this plan is no longer offered for the new phones.

Note you can always move back and forth with the 15 dollar plan and the 20 dollar plan if you needs change month to month, such as going on vacation.

Message an
Expert customer