What is the best backup app for g6

I need to have a reliable backup for
a) the whole phone
b) separately, contacts

Contacts should be backed up automatically to your Google account. You can see them here: https://contacts.google.com

As far as a “whole phone” backup, what exactly are you trying to do? What model phone?

1 Like

I have a G6Play. I wish to avoid the on-line Google backup for privacy reasons. I wish to find a reliable program to back up the entire phone (apps and all) locally. Ideally, the backup storage will be on my Laptop hard drive, all via WIFI.

This just really doesn’t exist. Full backups, through apps such as Titanium Backup, require that the phone be rooted. Android Phones = Google Phones. Without using the tools provided by Google the phone is at best neutered, and at worst insecure from lack of updates.

Really? I am ok with Google updating the software / firmware in my phone. I just don’t trust them to have my data. I have some very personal info in my phone which I am determined to keep private. Thus my quest for a local backup independent of Google’s cloud. You can’t hate me for that, surely… And if I should loose my phone or if it should go dead for some reason, I’d like to be able to restore my “stuff” including apps to a new phone. Impossible you say? I’m not convinced yet. Thanks for your input. John

That’s the entire point of the cloud backup

You don’t have to believe me: “Titanium Backup is a backup utility for Android that backs up your system and user applications along with their data on external storage of your choice. It is a leading Android application that uses root access to pull all your important applications and data from the system partition and stores them for future restoration.” from: https://www.titaniumtrack.com/titanium-backup.html

There’s a simple reason. Much of what you want to backup is in the system partition. Only apps that run with elevated permissions can gain the access necessary to back that up. That means either Google sanctioned system apps, or you would have to have a rooted device so you can choose to provide that elevated permission to an app like Titanium backup.

ADB backup and restore is one option, but it may be going away:

1 Like

The issue I’ve found with this is that most apps that I use don’t allow themselves to be backed up via ADB backup, especially anything financial, or personal like email, banking, etc.

Yep. Results will be similar to backup apps that work without root, like Helium. It’s the best you can expect. That’s why I just let Google backup and restore do it’s thing. No muss, no fuss. My data is as safe with them as anyone else.

Rooting also introduces a huge security hole into your phone that malware apps can take hidden advantage of to steal or sell your data, even mine cryptocurrancy on your phone.

Message an
Expert customer