What phone should I pick?

I am looking to purchase a new phone. I do not talk much and really only text. What phone is best for this?

Hi @terrym.kst7f3

This question is very subjective since everyone has different tastes and preferences. Any phone will text, but things like price, size, features, carrier etc. are usually the driving force for most shoppers.

i feel the same, the moto e second gen,if still available it has a smaller screen and does calls and text just fine

I would venture to say that if cameras and streaming media aren’t issues, maybe a Moto 4G or Moto 4G Plus. That is, if T-Mobile coverage works for you. Otherwise, if you want a CDMA and GSM phone, that limits your choices a bit. In that case, maybe the Moto X Pure Edition, which offers both CDMA and GSM. The Moto X is a little older, but Motorola will put Nougat on it.

I really liked the Nexus 6P, but with Google reportedly supporting their new, more expensive Pixel phones for only 2 years, and less than a year of Android updates left for the 6P, not for me anymore. They’ve already essentially dropped support for the Nexus 6, a $650 phone after only 2 years. It may get Android 7.1.1, but I’m not even sure about that.

All good replies so far.

I want to expand on what @nickf.tezg0v said.

The Moto E is nice and small but still readable (yes, I’m old and farsighted). There are no more new ones to be had from RW but you can find used Republic branded phones around and they are eligible for the 2.0/legacy $10 plan that doesn’t include data but has unlimited voice and text and will do Internet stuff over Wi-Fi in the event you want to browse the web, get e-mail, etc. And the Moto E is only one of several (notice I didn’t say lots or many) models that qualify for that plan.

I have used the Moto X 1st and 2nd gen. phones and absolutely loved both of them. The Xes and Gs are larger than the Es are so that may influence your choice too.

Here is too much info, so focus on the buying part: Buying and Selling Used Republic Wireless Phones

I’m sorry, I was wrong about the Moto G4 above, and wanted to be sure that this was corrected. The Moto G4 and Moto G4 Plus do have CDMA capability. I was looking at specs for them that only showed GSM, HSPA, and LTE. After looking further, I see that other specs show CDMA, and in fact people do use these phones on Verizon and Sprint. I’m not sure why there are these inaccurate specs online, but I apologize for the misinformation.

Here’s an example of the specs that I saw that are incorrect. Maybe they’re for a different version of the phone or just not correct, that’s not clear:

Motorola Moto G4 Plus - Full phone specifications

Message an
Expert customer