What phone will allow us to lock "restricted mode" on YouTube?

Hi! I’m from Dayton – and my love is camping! :slight_smile: Not with a tent … but with our trailer. It’s the best thing that ever happened to our marriage! :slight_smile:

I have a question for the community that no one has been able to answer for me. Regarding “Restricted Mode” on YouTube, we’re trying to find a phone that will allow us to LOCK the Restricted Mode setting, and requires a password to change the setting. Neither of our Moto phones offer this, nor can we find an iPhone with this feature. The Samsung salesman at Best Buy doesn’t believe that any phones offer this feature … however, in googling this issue, there was a generic phone visual that states this is actually possible on “some devices.” Does anyone know of a specific phone that we can purchase with this feature?

THANK YOU!!!

Greetings and Introductions!

Hi @pamw.fkdbii,

Welcome to our Community!

I’ve moved your post from the Greetings and Introductions thread because some of our most knowledgeable Community members have actually muted that thread in order to focus on helping others. They’d likely never see your question in that thread. By surfacing it as its own topic with the question showing up as the subject line in the activity feeds, it’s more likely to catch someone’s attention.

Thanks southpaw! This is my first experience with asking a community question. Where will I find my answers?

I don’t have experience with restricted mode, I’m not seeing a way to lock with a password on My Moto Z2 Play which lines up with what you are seeing on your Motos
If Samsung also is saying this then even if it’s possible the Major OEM are not enabling it (you could check on the Pixel/Nexus
(my work around for the phone My son has is a Parental app and YouTube disabled (YouTube Kids is all that works)

I’m not aware of a way to lock restricted mode for the YouTube app. It’s easy enough to do on a computer browser, but I don’t believe the app allows for that yet. The YouTube restricted mode help can be found at: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/174084?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&oco=1

Locking restricted mode isn’t a direct function of the app, but numerous parental control programs will allow you to do so. There’s some advice here: https://www.lifewire.com/youtube-parental-controls-2487977 but note the very important point that restricted mode is actually quite ineffective. I suggest a good Parental Control app.

That’s what I (and other parents I have spoken with) have found also.

Hi @pamw.fkdbii,

Depending on your settings here in Community, answers in reply specifically to you, like this one, will be E-mailed to you.

All the answers to your question, whether they are directed specifically to you or are part of the conversation that unfolds between members who reply, are in your topic. Since you may be seeing this by E-mail, you can return to your topic here:

and when you reply by E-mail, they will also show up at that link.

It’s not necessary to reply to each E-mail you receive, sometimes it’s easier to come back to the Community and post one reply to everyone who has answered.

I’m seeing some replies this morning regarding parental controls. Can you tell us whether that option would help you accomplish what you were hoping to do with Restricted Mode?

Thank you for your quick follow up! Yes, these are very helpful responses, and exactly what I was hoping to learn. Hopefully we’ll get a few more insights, so we truly know our options. Again, thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.