What 'Plan' do I select if I'm trying to replace a phone on a existing plan?

Hi, I oversee an account of 3 phones. I’m replacing my son’s lost phone. I selected the Samsung Galaxy J3. When you go to the checkout cart they ask you to select the plan you want: ‘Clearvoice 1 GB’. ‘Clearvoice 2 GB’, etc. What do I do about that selection if I already have a plan?

All of the new phones work with the new plans. Click on Plans at the top of the page to see your choices. When you activate the new phone as a replacement for one in your account the number will transfer but the plan will not. The replaced phone will be deactivated.

Be aware that the new phones work with T-Mobile, not Sprint:

4G LTE Coverage Map | Check Your 4G LTE Cell Phone Coverage | T-Mobile

Just to be clear, the Samsung Galaxy S6 and J3, the Moto Z and Z Play, and the Huawei Ascend 5W all operate on T-Mobile. The other phones can be on either Sprint or T-Mobile and at the current soft launch you can’t choose, Republic does for you.

louisdi wrote:

Just to be clear, the Samsung Galaxy S6 and J3, the Moto Z and Z Play, and the Huawei Ascend 5W all operate on T-Mobile. The other phones can be on either Sprint or T-Mobile and at the current soft launch you can’t choose, Republic does for you.

Right. This “soft launch” is problematic when it comes to helping people in the Community. In some cases people who weren’t aware of it got a Sprint phone when they wanted a T-Mobile phone and visa-versa. Does one even know which coverage they are getting until after the phone arrives? Since people don’t have a choice, and since Sprint isn’t mentioned, I’ve been just letting the chips fall where they may. That’s essentially what the ordering process is doing.

Here’s what I’ve observed lately. Please note I am NOT claiming this is Republic policy or that any of this happens all of the time, but I ordered a number of phones and have talked to others who ordered phones over the holiday season, and here’s what I’ve seen:

1. Current customers who order CDMA compatible phones seem to be getting CDMA activations (always?).

2. New customers who order CDMA compatible phones seem to be getting a mix of CDMA/GSM activations.

3. Perhaps obviously, those that order the GSM only phones, well, get GSM service.

That makes sense. It would be helpful if the Phones section made it perfectly clear which models would only work with the GSM carriers and which would work with either GSM or CDMA carriers. We’ve also been seeing people who bought “unlocked” phones thinking they would work with both carrier types only to find out they had been burned. Can it be that hard for RW to clarify this?

Here are the phones I can personally confirm have come with CDMA activation: Nexus 5X, Moto X Pure, Moto G4/G4+ As far as the other CDMA compatible phones, I don’t have any personal experience with anyone I know getting a CDMA activated version, so I can’t say.

Message an
Expert customer