What SIM Card is in New Phones?

Can someone tell me what SIM card is put into new phones before they are sent out?

I mean is it a GSM (T-Mobile) or CDMA (Sprint) SIM card?

I ask because of the Sprint merger with T-Mobile, and am wondering which network phones are being setup on. Just curious.

Thanks!

Hi @postalnote,

We are currently shipping GSM SIM cards with new phones.

4 Likes

When will we get a SIM that works with AT&T towers under the deal they struck with Dish? They flood my home with RF.

Hi @billg,

I’m glad to hear you’re excited about such a possibility. As for the timing… No comment. :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

Better yet, how about developing a multi-provider switching configuration like Google Fi?

Best of all worlds. :balloon:

Thanks @southpaw

1 Like

It’s probably safe to assume that the reason only Fi has it is that it is very hard to do. Given that Republic’s new owner Dish is building its own network, multi-network (other than through the usual roaming arrangements) are probably not in the top 2 or 3 million items that might get done.

1 Like

:grin: well said @louisdi

i am sure you are correct that multi-network is super difficult.
i just wish it was more prevalent. i have been using Fi for a couple years now on a couple lines at my house and the multi-network flexibility is AMAZING.

sigh

Things change. Once Sprint’s network is retired, other than US Cellular’s limited network territory, Fi’s multi-network flexibility evolves. By evolve, I mean that much of Sprint’s current network footprint but not Sprint’s legacy CDMA technology will ultimately be integrated into T-Mobile’s current network.

Beyond that unlike earlier GSM and CDMA technologies, 4G LTE and 5G will be compatible across all U.S. cellular networks making reciprocal roaming agreements possible if the various network operators so choose. In other words, evolving cellular network technologies make a Fi type approach much less necessary.

2 Likes

Just to add on to what @rolandh said. I had Fi for a while for my work phone. When the world was open and I was travelling internationally, it was awesome. When something happened, though I can’t remember what, and my international travel stopped Fi was just an expensive way to get the same coverage as Republic. In the DC Metro area T-Mobile has been agressively combining the networks and I saw quite literally zero difference in coverage between my Republic phone and Fi phone (no US Cellular here).

2 Likes

excellent info, thanks for sharing @rolandh !

also excellent info @louisdi !

i appreciate you sharing your experience, very helpful!

…and not surprising on the coverage info, t-mobile definitely is aggressively growing their company and infrastructure.

i hope that smaller companies–like Republic–continue to have the opportunity to build upon that progress.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.