What was your first smartphone?

Way back in 2005 I imported a Motorola E680 from Asia. I consider it my first true smartphone. I loved this phone and the features it had were way ahead of its time. People used to claim the iPhone was the first phone that could play MP3’s, but I thought they were funny for making that claim. Still, they would argue with me. While I do not think the Moto E6380 was the first phone that could play MP3’s, it was one of the first. It was really cool to have a phone like no other at the time and people around me could not keep their hands off of it (they would often, to my dismay, pick up the phone when I left it on the table and start messing with it because they were so fascinate by it).

Moto E680 review

e1

Way back then, Motorola even knew how to do a notification light…

e680_1_b

e680_hand2_b

e680_a

What was your first true smart phone?

How old are our Community members? What's your age range?

My 1st smartphone was Republic Wireless Moto X 1st Gen
before that I was using a Motorola Razr on AT&T
with Republic Wireless phone without having to have a monthly bill increase, my second smartphone was the Republic Wireless Motorola X second gen

which I got for the increase storage space 32 vs 16, my newest smartphone is the Motorola Z2 Play

which is activated on Republic Wireless, this phone has the benefit of having 64GB SD card expansion when needed

To some extent, it depends on how one wants to define smartphone. Today, the term is generally accepted to mean a phone capable of running a rich ecosystem of apps (including 3rd party apps). By that definition, the E680 was no smartphone though it did apparently run a flavor of Linux.

Not only is the iPhone not the first phone capable of playing MP3 (or other) music files, it isn’t even the first iTunes phone. That honor went to the Motorola Rokr E1 (a not so good candy bar variant of the Razr). The Rokr’s being less than stellar is part of why Apple insisted on developing the iPhone itself. Despite popular myth, Apple’s control freakishness isn’t entirely irrational.

My first personal smartphone was Apple’s original iPhone. Prior to that, I did use company issued Blackberries (more or less the smartphone standard at the the time). Again, by today’s standards, they weren’t very smart.

It did run Linux and with a bit of trickery you could install Linux programs, which I did to my heart’s content.

My first smartphone was a Nokia e71, in 2008, which I LOVED. I could fly on that little QWERTY keyboard. After 2 years of that, I got a Motorola Droid X with Verizon. Great phone, still have it. Then a Droid Bionic, still have it. Not a great phone. Then on to RW with the Moto X and a $79/mo. cheaper phone bill in 2013!

My first was the Palm Treo 650. Loved that thing, until I had to use a Blackberry for work.

download

Moto Q

I also had the Motorola Q. Build quality wasn’t so good, so it got replaced with a Palm Treo Pro (which is still in a drawer somewhere in my house) after a year or so. Then came the need to add SJPhone and make it work with my VOIP provider, then came callerID spoofing and advanced forwarding schemes, asterisk servers, buying minutes on the wholesale market, etc… Then Republic Wireless marketed a commercially viable solution and took my hobby away.

can you really call this a smart phone

Kyocera

Kyocera Slider-Remix-KX5

Maybe. I consider some of the multimedia phones I had on Sprint as nearly smartphones. They had streaming TV, music, navigation, and an app store for other stuff.

Good point rolandh. There’s quite a variety of definitions and opinions of when or what just made a phones transition into being smartphones. IMHO it was when the first phone that combined a QWERTY like text entry experience, an adequate OS to allow user added apps, web access and a somewhat intuitive UI became available to ordinary users.

I waited until prices came down for the available smartphones and decided to try a RW Defy XT as my first. Gladly sent it back 7 months later to Moto when they offered a $100 trade-in rebate when purchasing an original Moto X.

:flight_departure:

HTC Hero on Sprint. $120 for two lines!!:scream:
212942-htc-hero-sprint

Mine was a Blackberry 6750 from Verizon. I played a lot of Brick Breaker.

6750!

Back in the 1980’s had Motorola and Audiovox cell phones one of them sent and received emails, I thought that was pretty “smart”. Real “semi-smart” phone was Motorola EX124G made for Tracfone. I could add my own ringtones and download my photos to my computer. I think I purchased it in 2010. It came with an SD card.

I found this picture of it:

Motorola-EX124G

I still have this phone, because if I ever have a need to switch back, this phone came with triple minutes. I also still have my Tracfone flip phone. All the other phones I gave away and one broke.

My next real smart phone was Motorola Defy XT with Republic Wireless, purchased it when it was $99. I still have it, have no idea what to do with it.

Water-resistant, dustproof, and scratch-resistant with its Corning® Gorilla® Glass display, the DEFY XT is a smartphone that can keep up with life.
Republic Wireless Further Disrupts Wireless Market; Reopens Beta & Introduces New Motorola Android™-powered Smartphone | Republic Wireless

I’d like to recommend you fully charge, enjoy viewing your favorite YouTube video on its wonderful screen, kick in the dirt and then check to see if it has retained it’s water resistance. …https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izxG5Tc38OY or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kKjG4alt4Y

:flight_departure:

My first “cellphone” was pretty smart, at least I thought so at the time. Then I got some “feature” phones, but couldn’t really afford any of those features.

The DefyXT’s were what I consider my first Smartphone, by today’s standard, and I thought that they were great because I had basically unlimited things, and it only cost $19* a month.

• :rw_3: *plus taxes and fees

:grinning:

Shhh…I might…root it…don’t tell anyone. :shushing_face:

Motorola Bionic

My first smart phone was the Motorola Milestone Plus. I believe this is what it was named for some of the MVNO providers, and other wise the Droid Pro and called an alternative to the Blackberry. I still have it and not sure what I can do with it? I also purchased two spare batteries and the charger so I had a couple spares for when the battery died.

Before my Moto E680, I did have a Nokia 3650 which ran Symbian OS. This was considered a smart phone at the time but I did not think the phone was very smart at all. It did not do much and the ring tones from landline calls weren’t nearly as loud as ringtones from other cell phones. This drove me nuts and both Nokia and T-Mobile refused to believe me even though the issue was easily repeatable and demonstrated. I even tried exchanging the phone with no luck. I also thought the keyboard was cool before I bought it but quickly changed my mind as soon as I started using it (it was a huge pain). Hands down the worst phone I’ve ever purchased.