When can I activate my new Pixel 2?

I just received FedEx notification that my new Pixel 2 is “On FedEx vehicle for delivery”. I’ve already purchased a new SIM card. I checked the BYOP page and the Pixel 2’s are still showing “Coming Soon”. How will I know when I can activate my new phone?

0 Likes

Hi @etphonehome,

If it were me I’d give it a try upon receipt of the phone. My understanding is activation should work. You won’t do any harm to your SIM or end up deactivating your current phone should my understanding prove incorrect. The worst that would happen is the need to wait a bit longer.

4 Likes

Hi @etphonehome,

You do not need to wait for any sort of signal or announcement from us. Just install the SIM card, install the RW app, and let us know if you have any problems.

While our website may take a little longer to update, our engineers have been hard at work on the back-end processes that support activation, and we believe everything is good to go.

3 Likes

Thanks @southpaw and @rolandh. FedEx just delivered the phone so I’ll try it out shortly and let you know the outcome. New toy!

1 Like

@southpaw, Inserted SIM, copied data from old phone, installed RW app and get message “unsupported phone”. Now what?

0 Likes

Ahhh! :scream_cat:!

Could you tell me the build number in settings, or send a screenshot that shows it in the Settings app?

@etphonehome?

1 Like

Here it is. OPD1.170816.010

1 Like

Hmm… Could you install the SIM card, then have it check for a system update?

0 Likes

Hey @etphonehome,

We’ve made a change on our end. Could you please try again now?

2 Likes

The suspense is killing us!!

0 Likes

@etphonehome You’re using the wrong device. You’re supposed to build something yourself. Open a ticket and ask support to send you an umbrella, a speak and spell, a walkie talkie, a record player, a fork, a saw blade, a coffee can, aluminum foil, a knife and some rope.

2 Likes

I am having the same issue on my Pixel 2 non-XL. Build number OPD1.170816.010

0 Likes

Have you tried again in the last 25 minutes, @mrae? Would you mind giving it another try?

0 Likes

Sorry, I had to run out for awhile. I’ll try it again when I get back home. Should be in about 45 minutes or so.

0 Likes

Yes. I have checked for updates on my phone and on the Republic app. I have not tried inserting my sim in the past 25 minutes though. I will try that later tonight when I get a chance.

0 Likes

Thanks @mrae and @etphonehome

I might not be online when you try again, so if it still does not work, please open a ticket. I’ll check back in on you later tonight.

1 Like

I already have the SIM in there. So i need to power off the phone, remove the SIM and then re-insert it? And try again?

0 Likes

No, at this point if it’s still showing an unsupported build, please open a ticket so our engineers can look into it further.

0 Likes

I just got home and turned my Pixel 2 on and it took me through the RW screens to activate the phone. Filled out all the screens and submitted and now is says “Your activation is underway”, So looks like I’m on my way now!

3 Likes

I’m activated!!! Thanks for the help @southpaw!

3 Likes

Message an
Expert customer