When do we get new phones?

I just picked up a Moto X4 and I hate to say it but I think I am done with Motorola phones since they no longer notify you when you’ve missed a message. I can not believe there is a planet where someone thought that was a good idea. Unless there is a solution this phone is going back (and no, waving your hand just above the phone or physically touching it is no solution, and any solution that kills the fingerprint scanner or increases battery drain is no solution at all).

With that in mind, when will Republic bring new phones in to the lineup? I thought they were supposed to bring more manufacturers in to the fold when they were able to stop making custom roms a few years back. We’ve got a few different brands but Republic is still too heavily reliant on Motorola and Motorola is going down hill.

My Motorola notifies me of new messages. Have you combed through the settings (including the moto app) and changed things to fit your taste?

Hello @drog
I take it your not a fan of ambient display that Motorola been using for years [only 2 Moto smartphones that haven’t used it was the first gen G and E] the best way to get a old flashing light is with a notification flash type app something like [https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.istudio.flashnotification]

Republic has add a few phone OEMs besides Motorola,
Samsung
S6,S7, S7 edge, S8, S8+, Note8, J3[both 2016&2017], J7]
Google phones Nexus 6, 6P, 5X, Pixel/XL, Pixel 2/XL.
Huawei Ascend 5W
Alcatel A30

I think the biggest thing keeping some OEM off Republic is that they only release carrier versions in the US and Republic is looking for North American Factory Unlocked versions [which all Motorola phones have basically been (with the Droid branded be the exception as the Droid branded belongs to Verizon]

I don’t care about the ambient display, though with the fingerprint reader it’s so easy to unlock your phone so I don’t see the benefit. What I do care about is if I miss the initial call or text that the phone keeps some sort of notification active until I interact with it. Moto display only shows you on screen what notification is coming in when it’s coming in. That’s not a big deal to me since I can hear it ring or hear the text notification sound. What I need to know is what I’ve missed and Motorola no longer does that. They had a breathing display for a time (and I would be fine with that) but now even that is gone. If I am close enough to the phone to activate the ambient display, I am close enough to touch the fingerprint scanner. It’s when I am away from the phone that I’m concerned about.

And yes, I know there have been a few non Motorola phones that Republic has carried (my previous phone was an Ascend 5w that did not behave well on Republic’s network, which is what led me ti the Moto X4). The problem is that they are few and far between and there is nothing else currently available in the mid range.

This is a configuration issue. On every Moto phone I’ve tried, including the Moto Z, G4 and G5+ the notification continues to breathe in and out with the icon for the notifying app, until I remove it by look at the app or clearing the notification.

There’s an app for that.

I installed an app the from Play Store that requires an interaction to silence an audio notification reminder. …https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dan_ru.ProfReminder… App capable of some visual reminders as well, easy to set up and so far so good.

:flight_departure:

I’ve been doing a ton of research and I’m not the only person who has the problem on the X4. It seems Motorola decided to take the breathing function away (this was confirmed on their forums). If other X4 owners have breathing working, I would love to hear from you because I really want to make this phone work for me.

you could try,

It appears on the newer phones, that once you’ve activated the screen, then the notification clears automatically.

I’ve successfully used these apps: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.achep.acdisplay (although I haven’t tried on Nougat or Oreo.

and

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.greatbytes.activenotifications (which I have used on Nougat and Oreo though I don’t like as much as the previous app).

Thanks. I’m not too concerned about the notifications disappearing when I’ve activated my phone because I’ve seen them. It’s still nice to have but not critical. What is critical is being able to see that I missed a message or call from across the room or when I’m walking by my phone. Currently you are notified one time as soon as the text, call, or e-mail comes in. After that, you have no idea unless you physically interact with it (and yes, I consider Moto Approach to be physically interacting with it because you have to be inches away to make it work). This is extremely inconvenient.

I tried the dynamic notifications app but it kills the fingerprint sensor when activated by a message, though I have not paid for the full version so perhaps the use as lock screen setting in the paid version would help?

I’m using it with the finger print scanner on my Galaxy S8 and it doesn’t override the scanner. Are you finding that it bypasses your security settings or something else?

That may be exactly what I’m looking for. Did you check out any similar apps or was this the first you tried?

I’m not sure what’s going on, just that I have to put my pattern in when dynamic notifications app is triggered and the phone was already locked. Some security thing – I think the issue is with Android itself not fully trusting the app (it’s a security “feature”).

ran into the same problem on a nexus 6p when I tried the macrodroid to turn the screen on and then off
when it turned the screen off, had to put my pin number in to unlock the phone

I did try another one recommended by a member in a related topic. It was more complicated to set up and I don’t think it offered the same Delay, Duration and Interval settings. The one I’m using does what I wanted for call & text reminders. In under 5 minutes you should be good to go.

:flight_departure:

So I ended up getting the paid version of Dynamic Notifications, denied it administrative rights, turned breathing on, and turned brightness all way down (currently at 0 for notifications but may settle for a little higher). I then turned off Moto Display and Approach). The net result is a dim, always on notification reminder (Dynamic Notifications can’t “breathe” without administrative rights so the screen becomes always on when a notification comes through) that uses the default lock screen and works with both voice activated functions (including unlocking) and the fingerprint scanner.

I’m actually pretty happy with this solution. It’s definitely a bit of a kludge and I’m certainly not using Dynamic Notifications the way it was intended (I am really hoping at this point an update to the app doesn’t break my system) but I finally have what I want, which is being able to see if I have any notifications while walking across the room after I’ve been away from my phone for a few hours. So far battery drain isn’t too bad but we will see over the next few days.

Seriously, Motorola, nice phone but it really shouldn’t be this hard to get essential functionality.

You’re likely to see a pretty drastic hit to battery life. The X4 has an LCD not OLED screen so when a notification is shown the entire backlight needs to be enabled. That’s why you won’t see “always on” screens on devices with LCD screens, the battery hit is normally unacceptable.

That’s why I turned brightness down so much. If the battery drains too much then this phone is going back. The screen is supposed to be one of the more efficient LCD screens available so we will see.

NoLED is an easy solution and might be better than Dynamic Notifications for what I’m trying to do. Unfortunately, breathe (they call it blink) does not work on the X4. I e-mailed the developer and if they are able to get it working I would recommend this app to every Motorola user. Even as is, you should try it out if you are unhappy with the notifications (or lack there of) Motorola gives you.

Talking about new phones, RW could get better price for new phones compared to outside sources. MOTO G4 phone I got thru RW was about $50 more expensive than Amazon at that time.