Where's My Android Update? Understanding the Update Process

releases

At Republic Wireless, we’re always excited when a new Android update is on the horizon. We realize that many of our members share this excitement with us so we thought it would be helpful to provide some insight into how these updates are rolled out to your phone.

What are the different types of updates?

There are two main types of Android updates; Maintenance Releases (MR) and Security Maintenance Releases (SMR).

• Maintenance Releases (MR) are typically larger updates with things like bug fixes and added features, and generally include the latest security patch as well. Updates such as a new Android OS version are usually released through an MR. However, not every MR includes a new Android version.

• Security Maintenance Releases (SMR) are generally much smaller updates and only contain the latest security patch.

When will I get the next update?

Both of these types of updates, and their release schedules, are determined by the phone’s manufacturer. Manufacturers receive updates from Google and then customize them for each phone’s hardware and software. Before an update can be approved for release, it must go through rigorous testing by the manufacturer, and the major carriers, to ensure that everything is working as designed. Once a manufacturer considers an update to be ready for release, they begin rolling it out to the intended phones. This rollout process can often take a few weeks in order to reach everyone with that particular phone.

When an update is delivered, it will affect all carriers using that particular phone, not just Republic. Many unlocked phones also have a carrier variant, or carrier-branded version, which has different software. These different carrier versions have separate software lifecycles with separate updates and separate rollout schedules. This is why updates may appear at different times for different versions of the same phone.

I heard about a new vulnerability in the news, is my phone at risk?

It’s not uncommon to hear about a new “security risk” or “vulnerability” in the news which leads you to worry about whether your phone and/or information is at risk. Whenever a new issue is identified, Google and the phone manufacturers assess the need to address these issues as quickly as possible through a new update. Questions about a specific vulnerability should be directed to the manufacturer of your phone as they will be able to provide the most accurate and up-to-date information regarding potential updates.

While Republic doesn’t have any control over when a new MR or SMR is released, we do our best to provide information about each update once it’s available through our release notes.

Hopefully this has shed some light on the crazy world related to Android updates!

When will Oreo handsets be available for sale from Republic Wireless?
Nougat (Android 7.0) released for Moto X Pure
System Update for Moto G4 Play - 10/02/17
Blueborne Bluetooth vulnerability
Moto G5 plus Oreo
Moto Z Play Oreo update?
When will Moto G4 Play get Nougat System?
How to Upgrade Android?
Constant updates
Huawei ascend 5w phone
Android Oreo for Moto 5 plus
WPA2 encryption security update for older phones?
When will G5+ update to Oreo 8.*?
7.1.1 update status on G4 Play for RW users
Android One will it work
System Update for Google Pixel, Pixel XL, Nexus 5X, 6, and 6P - 10/02/17
Firmware Updates
New! Quickly Block Unknown Calls from the Republic Wireless App
Moto G4 Play nougat update coming yet?
Android version is OLD?
System Update for Moto X Pure (CDMA only) - 09/27/17
Moto E4 plus updates
When is Republic releasing Android 7 Nougat update to Moto G4 Play?
System Update for Moto X Pure (GSM Only) - 11/16/17
WPA2 encryption security update for older phones?
Any cheap Android One phones acceptable? Nokia 3.1 sells in US
When will Android 8 Update for Moto G5plus Arrive?
Moto X pure edition update, and discussion on updates and longevity of technology in general
Still no nougat (7) for my Moto X Pure
Moto E4 Plus Android update
Are Android OTA's slower on MVNOs?
Update to G5 Plus by Motorola to 8.0 a lost cause?
System Update for Google Pixel, Pixel XL, Nexus 5X, 6, and 6P - 10/02/17
Google Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL BYOP Support
Moto g5 plus Oreo update pending partner support
System Update for Moto Z Play - 09/25/17
Moto X pure edition system updates
Moto x xt1575 (pure)
Huewei Ascend from Republic Wireless

I have a 5.1 version Do I need a new phone to update? Thanks

Updating Android for Moto E (2nd gen)

If you have 5.1 you are still using a legacy phone [Moto X1, X2, E1, E2, G1, or G3] and these phones will not see another update.
These legacy phones are needed to maintain a grandfathered unlimited [1.0] or Republic Refund[2.0] plans as all current phones will use the My Choice plans]

So yes if you want a newer OS you will have to upgrade and change to a My Choice plan.

no one with these phone (be it Republic or the unlocked from Motorola) will see updates (with a minor exception of the Moto G 3rd which had a 6.0 update on the unlocked model )
Most OEM only update Flagships for 2 years (the Moto X 2nd is a 2014 phone it’s last update was in 2016)
Mid-line and budget phones usually only see updates for a year ( not all budget phones ever see an update)

So faithful long time consumers are out of luck. Unreal.

Please be aware that OS & Security code updates are the responsibility of the phones manufacture, and this is inline with the industry. This is not something that Republic Wireless can change, so I as a consumer don’t blame them (I have a legacy phone also)

Exactly. My folks have been on Verizon for 25yrs+.
They use the “flagship” phone the Samsung Galaxy S4 since it came out in 2013.
It hasn’t received any updates in years.
That is perfectly normal for most tech devices.
Once the newer model comes out, updates for the old model are fewer and soon stop all together.