Which Dual Band 2.4/5Ghz Routers Work Best with WiFi calling?

I really need to retire my venerable Cisco WRT120N 2.4Ghz router, it’s starting to drop IP’s and getting flakey. I’d like to replace it with a dual band router, ideally with a bridge so I can see my 2.4Ghz Canon MX870 printer with the Moto X on 5Ghz and my laptop on 5Ghz.

Any certain routers that have shown to be trouble free with our Republic hybrid WiFi calling?

Or asked another way, any certain routers to avoid?

An all-in-one cable modem/router (2.4/5Ghz Dual) combo unit would be ideal since I could then stop paying $10/mo rent on the Arris DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem from my ISP.

With so many models/brands out there it can be difficult to choose which to buy. One of the Community Members came up with this guide on routers. You may find it useful in making your selection:

When you purchase your new router, you may find this helpful:

Hopefully one of the router Experts will see your post!

3 Likes

Additionally, if you would post back the modem/router you are currently using along with the name of your Cable company.
As an aside, you may want to check your ISP or their doc to see what they say is compatible
Why do I ask? consider this excerpt from a Linksys article

CABLE, DSL, OR FIBER
There are three kinds of modems—Cable, DSL, and Fiber—that operate via different cable mediums depending on your Internet Service Provider (ISP). Cable modems are most prevalent in retail, but you won’t find Fiber-based products in stores—services like Verizon FiOS and AT&T U-verse require consumers to use unique devices for their respective services. When purchasing a cable or DSL modem, be sure to choose the appropriate type of modem for your service, and be sure that it’s compatible with the download and upload speeds you subscribe to from your ISP. If your modem can’t support the speed of your service, it will create a bottleneck, resulting in a slow or spotty connection.

1 Like

Modem: Arris DG860 Docsis 3.0 Cable Modem (not DSL or Fiber)
Router: Cisco/Linksys WRT120N 2.4Ghz B/G/N router.

Main issue is it’s 2.4Ghz and my neighborhood is getting really dense with 2.4Ghz. So I want to run 5Ghz which WiFi Analyzer shows as stone cold empty with no 5Ghz networks around at all. But I’d like to keep my printer online which is 2.4Ghz so looking for a 2.4/5 dual band router that features a bridge between 2.4 and 5 so the devices on 5Ghz can see the printer over on the 2.4 side and interact with it.

And I might as well stop renting the Arris DG860 from Wide Open West (ISP) and roll my own cable modem so the most elegant solution would probably be a combo DOCSIS 3.0 modem and dual band 2.4/5Ghz router as an all-in-one unit.

My internet feed over the cable is 30Mbps. Just my laptop and my phone. 30Mbps is all i need. Just me and a cat. And he doesn’t use any bandwidth. :cat:

Both of my ASUS routers facilitate land-line quality calls on my Samsung S7. My printer connects to the 2.4 GHz band, a mixture of other devices connect to the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. No problem with the devices seeing the printer.

On advice from Jben above I downloaded Wide Open West’s modem compatibility list and unfortunately no Asus products listed.

I have the AC68 (Master) and N66(hard-wired slave).

I would stick with getting two devices … a Cable Modem from the approved list and a Router of your choice. This allows better troubleshooting in case/when you have a problem with WOW.
Of the vendors provided, Motorola would be my choice (they now market mostly as Arris since they bought out that portion of Motorola. Perhaps an Arris SURFboard SB6183

Message an
Expert customer