Why can't people bring an i-Phone over

Why cant people bring an I-Phone over

Because it is not supported. From BYOD FAQ’s:

Can I bring any unlocked phone to Republic Wireless?

You can only bring approved phones to Republic, which are listed below. The reason why we only allow approved phones is because our WiFi + Cell technology is unlike any other provider and we want to make certain that the service and experience you receive from us has been thoroughly tested and meets our standards.

cant you just add it though and how is it unlike any other

you would have a lot more people join republic wireless

Republic hybrid VOIP/Cell networks need Android open OS at this time

The iPhone has a completely different operating system. Republic Wireless isn’t just about installing a SIM card and using cellular. Republic Wireless uses Wi-Fi first for calling and texting. It hands off calls between Wi-Fi, cellular, and cellular data depending on which has the best ability to carry a voice conversation at any given moment. It’s kind of a big deal.

Well, I’m just a customer…so…whatever, but I’m sure the people at Republic Wireless have thought of that and are thinking about how to get an iPhone on the Republic Wireless network. Unfortunately they’re not saying if or when.

Hi @willc.3jcyya,

I’ll take a shot. I may well be in the minority amongst the Community but in addition to the Republic phones in my household, I also have an iPhone, I’d very much like to bring to Republic. By the way I agree with you; it would be a very attractive market opportunity for Republic.

The above said as @cbwahlstrom observes, Republic isn’t merely another cellular provider. Republic’s unique (sufficiently unique to be patented) app based service blends the Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) network of Bandwidth.com with that of one of two cellular partners. VoIP is the technology that powers Republic’s WiFi calling and messaging.

The reality is Apple hasn’t yet provided the hooks known as application programming interfaces (APIs) for Republic to port its’ app to iOS. The Republic app is what makes blended service work. Apple seems to have taken some steps in the right direction with iOS 10; Opinion: Does integrated VoIP support in iOS 10 signal the beginning of the end for voice plans? | 9to5Mac, but as yet hasn’t provided all that Republic needs. Perhaps iOS 11 will change that? Time will tell. I’m confident the potential market opportunity isn’t lost on the smart folks at Republic.

Message an
Expert customer