Why does my phone now go from 60% battery to shutting down completely?

What phone do you have?
Samsung SM-J320A
What plan are you on?
My Choice + 1GB
Does your plan include data, or just talk & text?
Includes data

Issue Description

Within the past month, my phone battery will get to 60% or so, and the next thing I look it has shut down because of insufficient battery. I only have 3 additional apps on my phone besides what came with it (Netflix, a banking app, and Facebook). I am always doing the device maintenance to make sure nothing is running in the background or taking up unnecessary space. My brightness is always as low as it can go.
Thank you for any advice you can give me.

Hi @cherylb.lygeua

That J3 model is about 4 years old.
Your issue is probably due to the age of the battery.

1 Like

Hi, @cherylb.lygeua,
Did a couple of Google searches, and it looks like the battery and the Android System may be out of sync and need re-calibrating … so something to try before replacing the battery
Follow this and then the portion that appears to apply has a searchable heading of ‘Recalibrate the operating system’

I’ll add my voice. This is the most common way a battery shows that it has reached the end of its life. Despite the battery appearing charged, as it discharges it can no longer provide the voltage necessary for the phone to safely operate and so the phone shuts itself down to protect itself.

While a recalibration is certainly worth a try, I’ve never personally seen it work.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer