Why don't duplicate Help tickets move you to the front of the line?

Why is it OK for additional tickets to “push” existing tickets to the end of the line?

It’s standard practice in basically every support setting to help weed out bots.

3 Likes

having multiple tickets have to be merged(manually) the process of merging the tickets means it had to be re-added to the Que and there is not a system to added it in the middle or front of the line (which would reward the bad behavior of creating multiple tickets)

having more than one ticket can lead to confusing the end customer as they may get different instruction from different ticket agents (often repeated instructions which may be in different order) this could lead to taking longer to troubleshoot

2 Likes

Rather than go down the philosophical path…can you tell us what issue you are experiencing and is Help unresponsive to your issue? Are the multiple tickets separate issues…or just attempts to increase focus on the issue at hand?

4 Likes

Thanks for the honest answer drm186. I expected it was 100% purposeful to punish the people who were desperately needing an answer and being ignored. But hearing the other piece about of having to merge the tickets to prevent duplicate responses is slightly less bad. Of course, instead of doing all that and then further hurting people who aren’t getting quick answers by putting them at the end of the queue, you could have those same people doing the merges just answer the questions.

Hi @loganr.e3feak,

I’d like to add some clarity to this topic.

Those who have replied to you prior to now are not employees of Republic Wireless.

Our policies around the triage process change continually as we look for ways to improve, so some of the answers given here may not be based on our most current process, and any answer given today will become stale over time as our processes are updated again.

There’s no punitive attitude in the process. Our Help team recognizes that someone who is opening multiple tickets needs help. Often the person is not used to using a support ticket and doesn’t even realize there’s meant to be a single ticket designed to contain the conversation. Sometimes they are just replying to the E-mail they received, and due to formatting changes, the E-mail ends up creating a new ticket rather than adding to the existing ticket. Often they aren’t seeing our replies and just keep opening a new ticket asking the same question. And sometimes they are not satisfied with the time it takes for the right team to research the issue, and they open a new ticket rather than wait for a reply.

You asked a question that a lot of members wonder about:

It sounds like a good idea, until you think about the different types of tickets we see each day. We see billing inquiries, order inquiries, how-to inquiries about Android, how-to inquiries about a host of unrelated apps, questions about promotions we’re offering, questions about phones we don’t support, questions about our pricing and our competitors’ pricing, questions about accessories, and of course technical questions about issues that arise on the now 60+ phones we support on operating systems ranging from Android 2.3 to Android 9.

No one support agent can be trained in all of that.

Our agents work in teams and are trained to handle the complexities of specific systems. An agent who can refund a billing error may not be able to troubleshoot a technical issue.

What’s more, the time it takes to answer different kinds of questions can vary greatly. So if you ask a billing question and I ask a complex technical question, your question would probably get answered more quickly by being delivered to the billing team promptly, rather than by having to wait in line while the triage agent tackles my complex technical question.

By having triage agents who recognize the category a question falls into and send it quickly to the right team, we actually speed up both response time and effectiveness.

When a duplicate ticket is opened, the triage agent quickly examines both tickets to see if they are on the same topic. If they are, the tickets are merged. If the second ticket was just a duplicate of the first ticket, the first ticket’s state will not change, nor will its place in line. If the second ticket brings new information to the first ticket, for example, answering the last question asked by our team, then the first ticket will be set to “open” so that the team is aware an answer has arrived. The “place in line” isn’t impacted by these mergings, but the time it takes us to work research the ticket and get an answer to you may be, because digging information out of multiple merged tickets is a lot harder than reading it all in one conversation.

All that to say that opening multiple tickets does slow things down because it creates additional steps in the process.

Sorry to write so much; you’re asking good questions and it’s helpful when our members understand that we’re here to work with you, not against you. Our members matter to us, and “punishing” someone because they need help is not a part of our support model.

12 Likes

Southpaw, your reply was very informative and polite. As a newbie to Republic Wireless,
I’ve posted many ‘help’ tickets and all have been promptly addressed to my satisfaction.
I had a routing problem which was handled efficiently and the young man who spoke to me
on the phone took his time and was very patient with this ‘senior’ lady who is not technically savvy.
Thanks for all your team does!!! Marsha

6 Likes

Thanks, @marshad.3op1jp! I’m going to look up that “young man” right now so I can pass along your kind words.

Thank you for the thoughtful reply. drm186’s comment about not “rewarding bad behavior” really rubbed me the wrong way. But I appreciate that you took the time to break it down for me (and everyone else) in a very detailed and non-condescending fashion. I appreciate your kindness.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer