Why is 'bring your own phone' not available in my zip code?

I tried to purchase a sim card, then when shipping details came up Republic advised ‘bring your own phone’ isn’t available in my zip code. It recommended shopping compatible phones, but the phone I want to bring is the Nexus 5X and is listed as compatible. So, why must I purchase the phone from Republic and not use eBay and buy a sim card from republic? And how come Republic doesn’t let me purchase the Samsung Galaxy S6 920T for my zip code, but T-Mobile has very good coverage listed in my zip code?

The coverage checker takes more into consideration than the coverage maps. While not 100% accurate, I have personally found the coverage checker to be very good on the zip codes that I have checked. If the coverage checker says that BYOP coverage will not be very good in your area, then chances are it won’t. Do you know people in your area that have had a positive experience with the GSM carrier?

all BYOD are on Republic GSM carrier and the reason it’s not available that the GSM partner does not have good coverage in your area

Phone purchased from Republic may be either CDMA or GSM depending on the coverage of the area but right now Republic does not have a BYOD with their CDMA partner (also note that not all phones have CDMA radio)

And how come Republic doesn’t let me purchase the Samsung Galaxy S6 920T for my zip code, but T-Mobile has very good coverage listed in my zip code?

@matz ,

RW’s coverage check is a new tool they developed for their and and customer use. The S6 is a GSM only phone. RW’s tool recommends purchasing a GSM/CDMA compatible phone because their data determined that CDMA network may provide a better customer experience. My zip indicates the same yet I’m using a RW Huawei Ascend 5W GSM only phone RW sold to me in December and my local coverage is good.

If you to put the S6 or a GSM SIIM card for a Nexus 5X into your cart you will be allow you to purchase either item

Message an
Expert customer