Why is half my data used in last 10 days? I checked usage and says 'Gmail' & Pandora

I only pay for 1 GB data per month and never use it because I use phone (Moto X4) only on WiFi at home. I take on walks, short trips, etc. only for emergency. The data is hardly ever used. Now it is using data every day even when I walked around the neighborhood and didn’t use the phone except to take a picture. And I am getting some kind of Quora Digest emails that I have no idea where they are coming from. I followed directions to get rid of Quora, but it asked for my password to do it…I don’t have a password for Quora because I never requested it. I have been using the phone for about a year and have not encountered these problems before.

Hello @chriss.1124

Welcome to the Community :slight_smile:

A quick Google search about Quora gave me this information:

"All you have to do is just to click unsubscribe which could be found in every email you received from quora.

Possible reason for this,

1. Somebody could’ve misspelled their email into yours.
  2. Sometimes Quora might send emails occasionally to keep their user informed about their signup or subscription to a topic."

For your data issues, please give this Republic Help article a look over.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you so much, SuperT. 1) I was able to find a Quora e-mail (somehow) and scrolled to end and clicked ‘unsubscribe’.
2) Data issues…the article you referenced was a big help. Took me to “How to limit or prevent excessive cellular data usage” which linked me to “How to enable data freeze in the Republic Wireless application”. I followed instructions and put a freeze on data usage until at least I could figure out the problem, so that was a terrific solution…thank you! Now, about the data usage, apparently my son installed a new router about 9-10 days ago (just when my data started being used) and my Moto X4 is not compatible with the new router (we think) so it was never going to wireless. My son is looking into how to fix that (maybe, Motorola customer service?). However, he has re-hooked up the old router and my phone now picks up our wireless service from that router for the time being. Thank you again for showing me how to stop the ‘data drain’ ! Much appreciated.

4 Likes

What was the router that your son installed/removed, and who is your ISP (perhaps one of us can help you guys figure out the problem)

2 Likes

Did your son use the same name (the SSDI name) for your network on the new router?
If so you might try “forgetting” the network on your X4 and then reconnecting once you try the newer router again. :thinking:

2 Likes

I apologize for taking so long to reply, but I have been sick for the past week. I will check with my son re: the SSDI name and trying “forgetting” the network suggestion as soon as I can and will get back to you. Thank you again for all your help.

2 Likes

I apologize for taking so long to reply, but I have been sick for the past week. I will check with my son as soon as I can about what router he removed and what he installed. I will get back to you. Thank you for your help.

2 Likes
Message an
Expert customer