Why is Motorola G5 Plus more expensive through Republic than in market?

Bring Your own Phone only became an option with Republic Wireless 3.0 plans, so you cannot bring your own phone for earlier plans. At that time, Republic Wireless app and probably more, was directly integrated into the phone. It wasn’t a separate app. I’m also pretty sure they don’t sell 1.0 or 2.0 phones anymore.

Yes, you have to buy your own used RW custom version of the Moto (X1, X2, G1, G3, E1 or E2) from third party reseller. RW does not sell them any more.
Please be aware that these are all aging phones that may have limited future life and possibly no updates from the manufacturer.

as others have stated Republic no longer sells Legacy phones (they are no longer being made and Republic ran out of stock)
buying a used Legacy phone is an option

Please have it clear that an upgrade of plans will require new sim/s. I just found out old sim will not work on new phone. Why is it not mentioned that existing owners (not just new owners) will need new sims for new plans, even if they have old sims for new phones through BYOP.?

I’m not sure what you’re saying. Here are the three scenarios:

1. You have a Moto X1, X2, G1, G3, E1 or E2. For those that have SIM cards, these can not be moved to any other phone than the phone they are in.

2. You have a new phone that is activated with Sprint (the SIM card has “Republic” in all gray). This SIM can not be moved to an unactivated phone, even if the phone is CDMA compatible. The phone must be initially activated on GSM.

3. You have a new phone that is activated with the GSM partner (The SIM card has the “public” in green). This SIM can be moved to another compatible phone.

allow me to provide more details (let me know if my understanding is wrong in any part):
Switching from Moto X with 2.0 plan to Moto G5 (from amazon) with 3.0 plan. So, I am trying to change phone and plan. My sim in Moto X does not work in Moto G5. All phone models are compatible with RW. My understanding is sim does not work with 3.0 plan phone, because plan 3.0 uses different gms/CDMA (i forgot which) service than plan 2.0, which uses the other kind of service. The sims are different for different plans.

BYOP states buying new sims. This is mentioned in a way that seems to be directed at new users. Current users also need to buy new sims. That was not clear. So I am stuck with plan 3.0 phone with 2.0 plan sim.

the Legacy phones are CDMA and CDMA does not allow phone switching via the SIM (this is a GSM feature)
the New phones can be either CDMA or GSM base though all BYOD 3.0 phones will have to start off on GSM (and there are several phones that either do not have CDMA or are usable only on the GSM partner for the time being
both CDMA and GSM radio phones that currently work on both are

Moto G4, Moto G4 Plus, Moto G4 Play, Moto G5 Plus, Moto X Pure, Samsung Galaxy S7, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, Nexus 6, Google Pixel, Google Pixel XL

No CDMA radio

Samsung Galaxy S6, Samsung Galaxy J3, Moto Z, Moto Z Play, Huawei Ascend 5W, Alcatel A30

CDMA Radio but not be activated with CDMA yet (by end of the Year?)

Moto Z2 Play, Moto E4, Moto E4 Plus, Moto G5S Plus, Moto X4, Samsung Galaxy S8, Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus, Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL

Thanks for explaining in depth. Since, all 3.0 phones have to start off on GSM and legacy phones are CDMA a new sim is required for all existing users looking to upgrade plan and phone. I did not find that information in BYOP steps. BYOP mentions buying new sims and does it in a manner that seems to speak to new RW customers but, does not clarify if existing customers need to. That’s why I was confused with my switch. RW should just outright mention that in BYOP steps. “Existing customers will have to buy new sims to upgrade”.

It’s just not that simple. Existing customers, with GSM activated phones, won’t need new SIMs.

1. if purchased from Republic a SIM will be sent with the phone
  2. if purchased from Republic and the phone is capable to be used on CDMA then
    the phone can be configured for either CDMA or GSM (based on Republic’s coverage checker 4G LTE + WiFi for the Best Cell Phone Coverage | Republic Wireless)
  3. all BYOD need a BYOD SIM or a Currently active GSM Republic SIM, Republic official recommendation is to use a new SIM when changing phones

the only time a new SIM is not need is when moving from one GSM active 3.0 phone to another 3.0 Phone

Oh right, there’s that caveat. Why doesn’t RW just put some steps/questionnaire in BYOP steps so that customers can get all information in one place? I am not sure how other customers feel, but I find myself getting lost in information when looking for something specific, or simple in this case. Help forums work, but that’s a day or, two to get all the relevant information.

Thanks for explaining that more in depth. I think RW needs to clean up the slate of its self help options when it comes to changing plans/phones.

I think Republic is trying to make things as simple as possible. If you’re buying a BYOP phone, then you follow the steps on the BYOP page and it tells you to buy a SIM. Doesn’t matter whether you already have a phone with Republic, doesn’t matter how that phone may be activated, it just tells you to buy a SIM. That will work in all cases and doesn’t require the customer to know anything about their current situation (which most won’t know how their phone is activated).

That is true, but the problem lies in understanding the context of the customer. Where is the customer coming from? Would you buy something again if you already have it in perfect working condition? BYOP mentions buying new sim, but does not mention that existing customers have to buy whether or, not they have an existing sim. My sim works fine. I have a working sim, not a working phone. So, when BYOP mentions “buy new sim” in a generalized way to both existing and new customers it becomes confusing.
It does not mention the GMS and CDMA activation and compatibility issues in the steps. That’s all.

myatm.h9ucir,

As louisdi said RW prefers to keep it simple. Too much information may also lead to confusion and misunderstanding.

RW has basically considered this a non issue because of the small % of current or new members who may have misunderstood the need to purchase a new SIM card. I understand your replies and know from personal experiences it’s an inconvenience to be one of those affected.

You may want to reply to the link below and suggest an appropriate Support Note How To be added.

Hi @williamo.vkbg0s,

This is not at all the case. In fact, we’ve invested significant time into redesigning our website to make everything far more clear. Did someone specifically tell you we think member confusion is a non-issue?

The new process we have implemented does not include support documents by request.

As questions are answered in our Help Center, relevant support documents will be written.

Hi @myatm.h9ucir,

We are in the process of updating our website to make everything more clear to current members as well as new members. We understand there is ample room for confusion and we’re trying to improve.

Our Community is always available to provide quick, reliable answers if you should ever have any doubts.

Do you still need a 3.0 SIM? I’ll be glad to send you one.

I have a sim on the way. Since it is Saturday, I have to wait until Monday for it to be shipped and receive on Tuesday at latest.

Thank you for you cooperation.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.