Why No Data On Multiple Occasions

So several hours ago was a few miles away from the house and couldn’t access data. I needed to get directions and needed my email. It said couldn’t be connected to data. Why why why does this happen in the most inopportune times?

AmyB

Hi @amyb9,

There are a lot of possible reasons, and I don’t know that the Community is going to be able to give you a definitive answer.

Some possibilities:

• There’s no coverage in the areas you’re visiting, at least not on the cellular bands your phone supports
  • You recently dunked your phone and it may be showing signs of damage
  • You’re close enough to a location with a saved WiFi network (like a parking lot or nearby stop light) that the phone has connected to the network (overriding cell data) but you haven’t recently accepted the captive portal terms, so you have no access to the internet

A couple of miles away from my house would not be rural… I live in a suburb of ATL.

That is an unknown, since this has never happened before.

Not sure what that means about accepting captive portal terms…?

AmyB

You don’t have to be somewhere rural to be in a spot without coverage. I think if you want someone to look into the coverage and if perhaps there was a tower outage in that area, you’d want to open a help ticket. I’m not comfortable with the idea of having you share details about an area so close to where you live, publicly on the internet.

Captive portal… Here’s an example. Let’s say last month you went to a store or restaurant, and while you were there, you used their Wi-Fi. You probably would have had to tap your way through to some agreement before you could connect, something to keep the lawyers happy about understanding it’s a public Wi-Fi network and not abusing it. Now your phone has saved that Wi-Fi network and will reconnect to it when you’re nearby. But the agreement you clicked through has a time limit or session limit, so you’re going to have to re-agree before you can use the internet on that Wi-Fi network again. So your phone reconnects when it’s nearby but the network blocks internet usage. Because your phone sees that you’re connected to a Wi-Fi network, it stops using cellular data.

Mr Southpaw had a similar experience the other day. He was parked outside a favorite restaurant trying to place a mobile order,. His phone connected to their Wi-Fi network, but since their dining room is closed, they had apparently disconnected their router from the wall, but left it powered on, so there was a Wi-Fi network to connect to, but that wifi network wasn’t serving any internet. And since his phone was on Wi-Fi, it stopped using cell data. He couldn’t place the order until he either turned off wifi on his phone, or moved out of range of the Wi-Fi network.

This is what I mean about it not being likely to be something the Community can solve for you. There are just a lot of variables and considerations. I know it seems to be happening more frequently for you, and I know that’s frustrating. If there is some common cause that makes it keep happening for you, we’d want to figure that out.

Do you happen to know if your SIM card is GSM or CDMA?

1 Like

I often come across things like this (Southpaw’s example) in populated areas. I’ve found sometimes I have to ‘turn off’ wifi or ‘connect’ to the available WiFi, else my Cell data slows to a crawl, or becomes unavailable.
Edit: If a :question: appears in the WiFi status, that is usually the problem.

I got you. I hardly ever use wifi anywhere that I’m at. On rare occasions, like today as I was working there for several hours. So I do think that the water has messed with Google maps. I had the same issue today going to my gig. Not sure what to do about that. I guess it’s just shot.

I don’t remember which I have as far as GSM or CDMA… How do I find that out?

Amy

Hi @amyb9,

Presuming the phone is sufficiently operational, here’s how to determine if the SIM is GSM or CDMA:

If the phone won’t cooperate, please let us know.

1 Like

Thanks, it is CDMA

1 Like

Hi @amyb9,

CDMA presents a bit of a dilemma in that active CDMA SIMs (unlike their GSM cousins) cannot be moved from one phone to the next. Further, due to scheduled shutdowns of Sprint’s legacy CDMA network next year, Republic is no longer activating new CDMA SIMs.

Republic will have an additional coverage option when forthcoming new plans become available but what we know now is that is intended to take place in December but there is not yet a definitive date:

Meanwhile, the phone can be replaced without waiting for new plans, however, it would mean switching to GSM (T-Mobile) network coverage. I seem to remember from earlier conversations that GSM coverage wasn’t particularly robust in your area. T-Mobile has been making improvements to its coverage, so if you would be comfortable sharing a zip code (nothing more), we would be able to reevaluate GSM coverage for you.

I’m signing off for the day, so, hopefully, someone else will jump in.

Hmm, Always a problem for me apparently.

So it looks like the phone works fine on wifi but is sketchy on data without. I wasn’t able to connect to Google yesterday while at my gig, but Facebook seemed to work…? Then last night I had directions but in the dark was having issues finding the street that the directions told me to turn on, so I just pressed Start to see what would happen. It was showing me where the destination was and could figure out from the map but it wasn’t working the way it normally does. That’s going to be a problem obviously.

Good Morning @amyb9,

Admittedly, you’ve had your share of difficulties at times.

According to coverage maps, it looks like GSM (T-Mobile network) coverage in your area has indeed improved. With Republic’s online store temporarily closed while we wait for an improved Republic Wireless; if you wish to replace your phone sooner rather than later, you’ll need to source a Republic compatible phone from a third party retailer. Doing so isn’t all that difficult. Republic’s list of currently compatible phones is linked here:

If you have a Best Buy reasonably close to you, I’m confident there would be several options there. If you have a particular new compatible phone of interest, please let us know and we’ll help find a source for you.

The new phone is half the battle. You would also need to ask Republic to ship a new GSM SIM. With the store closed, you would need to open a ticket for that.

Candidly, it’s impossible for us in Community to diagnose why you are having the cell data experience you relate. It’s entirely possible the phone’s cellular radio was damaged by the dunk. It’s also possible there are simply coverage issues in the locations where you’re having the experience. No cellular network has perfect or even robust coverage everywhere. All cellular networks have pockets of poor coverage in areas where overall coverage is generally good. Without knowing exactly where you were when unable to connect to cell, we simply can’t say. As Community is a public Internet forum, please do not share those locations here. If you want to explore whether coverage is the underlying issue, you would need to open a ticket for that as well.

2 Likes

Having had this phone and previous Motos with RW, I don’t think it’s coverage areas. There has never been this much issue when away from home. And seeing that it worked yesterday when I got on wifi, I think you are correct that the cell radio is the problem.

Any suggestions for a phone from Amazon maybe that is like Moto G6, or better but in that price range?

Here’s one:
Limited-time deal: Motorola One 5G Ace | 2021 | 2-Day battery | Unlocked | Made for US by Motorola | 6/128GB | 48MP Camera | Hazy Silver https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08NWD7K8H/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_dl_2FSVT0A9TSPZ9Y2B5XSN?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

Hi @amyb9,

If overall you’ve been satisfied with your Moto G6, the obvious replacement would be one of the current 2021 Moto G series models. Republic supports, the 2021 Moto G Play, the 2021 Moto G Power and the 2021 Moto G Stylus.

2021 Moto G Play at Amazon:

2021 Moto G Power at Amazon:

2021 Moto G Stylus at Amazon:

Perhaps, this comparison chart borrowed from Amazon will help you decide among them:

The Motorola One 5G Ace on the comparison chart is also Republic compatible. If willing to stretch the budget, I’ve heard really positive things from folks who’ve purchased the Motorola One 5G Ace. Otherwise, in my opinion, the best bang for the buck option is the 64 GB 2021 Moto G Power.

1 Like

Thank you… I think it’s going to be the price that makes my decision… I’ve never spent over $179 on a phone.

I can certainly appreciate that. I’ll just mention that particularly if one plans to hang onto the phone for a few years, spending more up front, if the budget allows, generally leads to a better experience. Specifically, I do suggest a phone with, at least, 64 GB of internal storage. As Android and apps receive updates, 32 GB fills up fast.

I guess I don’t use my phone the way most people do. I guess 32 is plenty for me. Never had an issue with storage with that amount.

Fair enough and it’s not my intent to argue with you. For your consideration, what’s true of the past is not necessarily true of the future. Storage space requirements for both Android and updates to bundled apps (whether one adds more apps or not) increase every year. What seems ample today in terms of storage, may seem constrained tomorrow.