Why wont a new MotoG4 phone on Republic Wireless not auto-roll between GSM & CDMA networks?

I’m VERY confused, though please review this complete explanation before replying.
I have a Moto E1 (may have been an E2) which I purchased from RW a few yrs ago. Great phone & great service w/ RW.
That phone auto-rolled between both GSM & CDMA networks without me doing anything. I almost never had a dead spot throughout California… Rural area’s included, even though it roamed some in rural areas.

So this July I BYOD (a MotoG4) which I got new on Ebay onto my acct at RW.
It started off the first 2 weeks just fine in my home area. Then one day it just stopped giving me data from the local GSM network.
I just expected my phone to auto-roll to a CDMA network nearby to provide data…BUT NO!
Instead, I had NO DATA at all.
Then over the next 2 weeks I spent many hours on this forum trying to resolve why my new phone was not getting data from cell network(s).

RW support (after 5 try’s) told me that I apparently I don’t have a GSM tower (carrier) in my home area… This was a BIG surprise since I had great GSM coverage for the 1st 2 weeks w/ new phone and the last couple years on my MotoE.
RW said they would send me a CDMA Sim card which would be best for my new MotoG4 in my home area.
I installed that and now I have data in my home area… but that’s not all>>>

HERE’s the PROBLEM -
Now when traveling; I know longer get good coverage since my phone will not auto-roll between GSM & CDMA carriers.
I bought a modern 4 band phone so this would occur in the background.

Did I make a foolish error to think that since my old MotoE auto-rolled between GSM & CDMA networks just fine, that my new MotoG4 would do the same???

HELP Please - anyone who has an answer to this would be VERY Helpful.

As for RW - I have a very hard time believing that RW would only allow MotoG’s they sell to auto-roll between GSM & CDMA networks, and then SCREW all of us who BYOD the exact-same-phones (MotoG4’s) onto our RW plans…But maybe I’m once again Fooled!

PS - my old MotoE (which my wife now uses) is still working great in all area’s of California… auto-rolling alone between GSM & CDMA networks. Just no LTE, but that’s fine by me.

How is the Moto G4 from RW able to get CDMA and GSM coverage, but BYOP Moto G4 with RW SIM card only do GSM?

like I post in the old thread you resureced the Republic phones have never auto switch between CDMA and GSM

Republic Legacy Phones did NOT auto switch between GSM and CDMA (they where CDMA only phones with Sprint backbone network) the Moto E 1st did not even have LTE just the 2.0/3.0 CDMA radios (the 2nd Gen did add LTE but still had no access to GSM nor did Republic have a GSM partner back then. Only GSM phones for Republic have been 3.0 phones (each and every 3.0 phone from Republic or BYOD had the radio for GSM and some have both radios but they never been able to auto switch from GSM or CDMA it’s one or the other)
the CDMA configured Moto G4 should have the same coverage as the Moto E (i.e. Sprint), the only real difference is when Roaming to the CDMA roaming partners there will be no User accessible Data on 3.0 (which 2.0 had at an large cost of 18.3x native data (27 cents per MB or about $276 per GB)

3 Likes

Hi @oceanfrontnetc!

I can confirm what @drm186 stated. Your old phone did not have dual network capabilities. As far as I know, only one MVNO that has this capability-Google FI.

Your old Moto G only worked on CDMA. This could explain the coverage difference. Since your new phone presumably uses GSM, it’s plausible that there, indeed, is a significant coverage difference. Whether or not GSM or CDMA coverage is better varies by location and is what the Republic coverage checker is for. Out of curiosity, have you cked your coverage? If so, what does the coverage checker say? If not, could we have a ZIP code?

Finally, the Moto G4 is capable of running on Republic’s CDMA partner’s network (the exact same one your old phone worked on). Since I can’t view your ticket, I don’t know if Republic offered to move you over to CDMA (if they had reasonable evidence that coverage would be better). If they didn’t, I would recommend opening a help ticket and asking them to move you over to CDMA. They may be able to move you over. I hope that helps!

mb2x

3 Likes

No it didn’t. That phone doesn’t even have GSM hardware in it.

That was a bad expectation. Republic has never had a phone that moves between cellular carriers. There’s only one company in the US that I know of with this capability, Google Fi.

Your Moto E didn’t have GSM coverage, so no surprise.

Your issue is actually really simply explained, you have lousy GSM coverage in your area, but good CDMA coverage in your area. That’s the explanation, no drama, no Republic taking anything away, no Republic preventing your phone from doing anything, just a fact of the networks and the phones that you had.

3 Likes
split this topic #5

3 posts were split to a new topic: My issues with the Moto G line

Wow - great chain of conversation. Though I’m still VERY confused.
I have a Moto E1 (may have been an E2) which I purchased from RW a few yrs ago. Great phone & great service w/ RW.
That phone auto-rolled between both GSM & CDMA networks without me doing anything. I almost never had a dead spot throughout California… Rural area’s included, even though it roamed some in rural areas.

So this July I BYOD (a MotoG4) which I got new on Ebay onto my acct at RW.
It started off the first 2 weeks just fine in my home area. Then one day it just stopped giving me data from the local GSM network.
I just expected my phone to auto-roll to a CDMA network nearby to provide data…BUT NO!
Instead, I had NO DATA at all.
Then over the next 2 weeks I spent many hours on this forum trying to resolve why my new phone was not getting data from cell network(s).

RW support (after 5 try’s) told me that I apparently I don’t have a GSM tower (carrier) in my home area… This was a BIG surprise since I had great GSM coverage for the 1st 2 weeks w/ new phone and the last couple years on my MotoE.
RW said they would send me a CDMA Sim card which would be best for my new MotoG4 in my home area.
I installed that and now I have data in my home area… but that’s not all>>>

HERE’s the PROBLEM -
Now when traveling; I know longer get good coverage since my phone will not auto-roll between GSM & CDMA carriers.
I bought a modern 4 band phone so this would occur in the background.

Did I make a foolish error to think that since my old MotoE auto-rolled between GSM & CDMA networks just fine, that my new MotoG4 would do the same???

As for RW - I have a very hard time believing that RW would only allow MotoG’s they sell to auto-roll between GSM & CDMA networks, and then SCREW all of us who BYOD the exact-same-phones (MotoG4’s) onto our RW plans…But maybe I’m once again Fooled!

PS - my old MotoE (which my wife now uses) is still working great in all area’s of California… auto-rolling alone between GSM & CDMA networks. Just no LTE, but that’s fine by me.

Republic Legacy Phones did NOT auto switch between GSM and CDMA (they where CDMA only phones with Sprint backbone network) the Moto E 1st did not even have LTE just the 2.0/3.0 CDMA radios (the 2nd Gen did add LTE but still had no access to GSM nor did Republic have a GSM partner back then. Only GSM phones for Republic have been 3.0 phones (each and every 3.0 phone from Republic or BYOD had the radio for GSM and some have both radios but they never been able to auto switch from GSM or CDMA it’s one or the other)
the CDMA configured Moto G4 should have the same coverage as the Moto E (i.e. Sprint), the only real difference is when Roaming to the CDMA roaming partners there will be no User accessible Data on 3.0 (which 2.0 had at an large cost of 18.3x native data (27 cents per MB or about $276 per GB)

1 Like

You’ve now posted this in two places, with the same incorrect assumption. You old Moto E did not switch between CDMA/GSM. It didn’t even have a GSM radio in it, it was CDMA Only.

You new Moto G can be activated on either GSM OR CDMA, not both at the same time. All BYOP SIMs are GSM.

Hi @oceanfrontnetc,

I’ve moved your posts to the same thread so the conversation exist in a single place. Please continue the conversation here rather than posting the same question in other threads. Thank you.

angelad.wlztsw,

Sorry for the barrage of replies.

Easy to understand you may have mistaken rolling from WiFi to cell meant your previous phone was switching between cell networks.

As recommended in one of the previous replies sounds like your best option now would be to open a RW Support ticket and explain your poor coverage. They should be able to send you a new SIM for the CDMA network to get things back to normal coverage for you.

1 Like

Thank you everyone for all your replies to this subject.

Looking back at my MotoE, it is a 2nd Gen. Thus from what I’ve read, it does
have GSM capabilities, though maybe not on RW.

As for using the term “auto-roll” instead of auto-switch. well My Bad.
Though I can say this; I was not confused by WiFi auto-rolling, since I
always turned off my WiFi whenever I was making this determinations as to
what carrier signal I was able to receive Data from.

As for my current G4, it does have the CDMA Simm which RW recently supplied
as I stated on my initial post.

What I did not say in my initial post is;

When using my phone (MotoG4) and having my Wife’s phone (the original MotoE)
side-by-side - there is no questions that the 2 phones are seeing different
carriers even though the G4 is on CDMA & the MotoE should be on CDMA.

I realize I’m using the “carrier” terminology loosely. What I am referring
to is the signal from that known Carrier seems to be much different on these
2 phones. This results in not getting any data at all on the G4, in many of
the traveled areas, while the MotoE is getting data just fine. This is true
in both Roaming & non-roaming locations.

I will say this about the G4; when I’m getting an LTE signal, Its solid and
data is good. Though g4 signal not so much. And g3 signal seems to be most
consistent for calling but not for data. On the MotoE, the g3 signal and/or
roaming is good for calling & data.

As for RW asking me if I did site check - Yes, your RW rep did this for me
in a variety of locations where I live & travel too. I was told CDMA would
be the only choice, though I’m not convinced of this due to the differing
results between these 2 phones.

Re the responder who said they sent me a DM; thank you, though I never
received it.

Any other thoughts on this subject?

the 3.0 phones will not have any user accessible data on Roaming (it not included in the plan and there no add on that will include it)
the Legacy Moto E 2nd Gen on a 2.0 Refund plan will have access to Roaming data but that data will burn though the data bucket fast than native (18.3 time faster than native Sprint data)

LTE = 4G cell signal,

Sprint 3G (even CDMA roaming partners 3G) is more like 2.5 cell Gen the max Speed is 3.1 Mbps and can be almost unusable (under 0.1 Mbps) and most of the time it’s 1-2 Mbps
the Native non roaming Sprint 3G and 4G should be the same between the Moto E 2nd, and CDMA prevision Moto G4

I would check that data is not being limited in the the Android setting and/or the Republic app (though if you do see data this is unlikely

it’s is possible the Moto G4 has connect to a different tower in the area (one can try to force it to re-scan for a tower by turning airplane mode on and off)

it’s also possible that it even has a defect in the radio (in which it would be best to work with Republic support to determine this

2 Likes

I sent a DM to someone else who replied earlier to the thread.

Once again, your phone does not have a GSM radio. There we’re multiple versions of the E2, the Republic version, Sprint version, US Cellular version, were all CDMA phones.

I still question that your G4 is on CDMA. Can you remove the SIM from the phone and tell me if the Republic on the SIM is in all gray or in green\gray?

1 Like

Thank you for your detailed reply. Interesting!

Why isn’t G4 capable of data in roaming area’s?

Is this purely RW agreements w/ roaming partners for 3rd gen phones or is it
something any of us (me, you, Moto, RW) can do w/ G4 to set for getting data
in roaming area’s.

I understand the use rate is HIGH when in roaming.

Thank you

Republic 3.0 plans that the 3.0 phones use do not include Roaming data
this was a decision Republic made for 3.0 plans due to cost and it occurs when roaming would turn off or confuse most customers if they try to pass this cost on to them and they can not afford to eat the cost
only the legacy 2.0 plan (using the Legacy Phones) has Roaming data and at a 18.3 rate of cost make a GB $276 (Republic even took Roaming data way from the 1.0 plans)

1 Like

Thank you - bummer!

1 Like

So, am I correct in assuming RW has switched from CDMA to GSM and dropped Sprint? All new phones are GSM and my Moto X 1st Gen is old school legacy paperweight now.

No, Republic has not dropped Sprint. Sprint remains one of Republic’s two cellular partners.

Some new Republic phones are GSM only. Others may still be provisioned with CDMA (Sprint) coverage. I suggest reading the following:

From the perspective of network coverage, your Moto X1 should work as well today as it did yesterday. If that’s not your experience and you desire aid with that from Community, I further suggest starting a separate post.

2 Likes
Our new phones don't have the same coverage as our old ones
closed #20

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer