WiFI At Home Outside

Moto G6 falls off wifi when it is just sitting for a period of time and usually connects within seconds when I use it. But have noticed something else which seems new. I am taking photos outside of my house which is about 50 feet from my front door, and wifi goes away while shooting with my phone. So is that a phone issue or a Comcast issue?

AmyB

Issue Description

• I would say neither … outside in front of your house you are:
    • Further from your WiFi, 1 additional wall in the way … hence weaker signal
    • Closer to the house across the street … hence a better chance of them interfering with you
2 Likes

But this is new… have never seen this happen in recent years. I’ve had wifi for at least the last 4 or 5…

AmyB

• Perhaps you or a neighbor has rebooted their Router, or added a new one and now there is some interference?
    • The Republic App provides a Diagnostic … just open the App, Tap the (?) then ‘Run Diagnostics test’, only takes about a minute and if it finds something you will see something like this
2 Likes

Wifi co channel is what’s showing… still don’t know what I’m supposed to do with that though.

AmyB

• The description you provides, sounds like the first item I showed in the example of Republic diagnostics, basically says that you are being interfered with by someone on the same Channel that your router is using.
  • You can attack this in two ways:
    • If your router is set to Auto, a simple reboot will probably pick a new/different channel
    • If your router is set to a specific channel, then you or someone like Comcast (assuming it is their router) will need to change the channel.
    • You can find this information repeated in WiFi Help - Internet connectivity - COVID-19 and the current times
    • If you need help, please post back which router you have, which may allow someone in the community to walk you through what is needed
1 Like

Comcast’s modem and router… nothing I have ever had to deal with other than possibly resetting by calling or turning off and on.

AmyB

• The turning off/on that has helped in the past would indicated that your router is probably set to Auto … most routers in Auto only check for a good channel during a boot up sequence.
    • I would suggest you try a power cycle as outlined in the reference previously provided … if that helps then your good to go until the next time something changes.

The new Comcast routers apparently have “auto” 2.4/5GHz…it picks the best signal, I wonder if it’s picking 5, which has a very limited range, as compared to 2.4.

1 Like

Yeah, the tech who gave me the new one, said that 5 was the best… that’s what I have been on for a couple of months. So you are saying 2.4 is better?

AmyB

Good info, and yes the 5GHz signal range is much lower that that the 2.4GHz. This would be Dual Band routers (most current routers fall into this category and ‘Band Steering’ is what the function that does the switching between bands is called.

• However, the ‘Co Channel’ Interference that the RW App Diagnostic picked up in this case, is referring to same channel interference from another router or access point. The top-level diagnostic that I show in the screenshot doesn’t show the actual channel that the phone is using, a user would need to look at the Full Logs and scan down to the 8 lines that start with WiFi to see the channel and band information.
    -3rd part apps such as WiFi Analyzer can be used when it is necessary to get to this depth

For frequently using your WiFi outside of your house, yes, 2.4 GHz has a greater range and better penetration through things like walls.

2 Likes

Ok, will switch it up today and report back.

AmyB

Message an
Expert customer