WiFi calling compatibility on Republic Wireless 5.0 plans

Our long-time members are familiar with WiFi calling and many of them rely on it in areas where none of the cellular networks have coverage. Our 5.0 plans are not built on Republic’s patented WiFi calling technology. Instead, our 5.0 plans include carrier WiFi calling. In order for a phone to support carrier WiFi calling, the phone’s manufacturer must have enabled WiFi calling for our carrier partner’s network.

When a manufacturer produces a phone model, they might make several different versions of that same model to be used on different networks. While these variants have the same model number and may look the same, there are slight differences that aren’t immediately obvious to the user, including differences in the software. It is up to the phone manufacturer to work with each carrier to enable WiFi calling, a process that adds to the cost of the phone. To keep costs down, not all variants of each phone model will have WiFi calling enabled for every carrier. This means that in order to determine whether your phone will support carrier WiFi calling on our partner’s network, we must look past the phone’s model number and examine the TAC code. A TAC code is the first 8 digits of the phone’s unique ID number, or IMEI. You can view your phone’s IMEI by dialing * # 06 # as if you were making a call, using the numeric keypad in the phone app.

Based on the TAC codes we know to be compatible with our new network, and information from the manufacturers, we’ve added WiFi calling to our compatibility list to help you determine whether your phone supports carrier WiFi calling on our 5.0 plans. It’s very important to understand that for the purposes of moving a phone to our 5.0 plans, if you have a phone bought from Republic Wireless prior to 12/1/21, or a phone purchased anywhere else at any time, you need to consult our BYOP compatibility list to make an informed decision about using your existing phone on our new 5.0 network. If you are considering purchasing a phone from Republic Wireless, no additional compatibility check is necessary; phones sold by Republic Wireless after 12/1/21 are certified with our new network carrier and have WiFi calling enabled.

5 Likes

ouch…

2 Likes

All Pixels on the list do starting with 3, thank goodness. So my 5a is safe. But it’s disturbing how many other brands and models don’t. I can imagine some people who bought new phones for 5.0 are going to be very unhappy.

3 Likes

Yeah, I bought a new phone, and then I (just a few minutes ago) unbought it…

So just to be painfully clear, the “Wifi Calling Compatible on 5.0 Plans” for both the Moto G Stylus 5G and the Samsung Galaxy A71 5G are listed as “No”, yet both of these phones are being sold in the RW online store and are inherently guaranteed and changed into Wifi Calling “Yes” phones?

3 Likes

If bought from Republic’s online store, either phone will have WiFi calling capability on Republic’s new network (AT&T). If sourced from a third party, according to Republic’s compatibility list, they would not.

I understand the confusion because this is different from the reality on My Choice. On My Choice, compatible phones sold at Republic’s online store were the very same factory unlocked variants sold at third party retailers. That is no longer the case. The phones now sold at Republic’s online store are specific to Republic though they can be unlocked and used elsewhere.

It is not at all unusual for there to be multiple variants (flavors if you will) of the same model phone.

2 Likes

My Moto G Stylus 2021 is a big no. Neat. Luckily, I can’t afford the 5.0 plan anyways, so I’ll still have WiFi calling on My Choice with the Republic app.

4 Likes

If 5.0 plans require clear carrier radio signal for WI-FI calling, than I will not be able to participate. Unless the new 5G towers provides better signal strength, I will own a brick phone. Without more explanation, this new feature appears to be a step backwards.

Is a Motorola Moto X4 purchased from Motorola compatible with the new 5.0 plan? First 8 digits: 35648408.

Sorry to say but there no Moto X4 that has been certified for AT&T’s Wifi calling

3 Likes

It’s not that the phones need a cell signal for wifi calling but on the new 5.0 plans the servers used AT&T’s using their version of Wifi calling instead of Bandwidth’s severs with Republic;s version of Wifi calling. As it;s AT&T servers the phones they allow for WiFi calling need their certification

1 Like

It is unlikely you will be able to make and receive calls over wi-fi with the Moto X4, but here is a success post about activating 2 of them on the 5.0 plan.

Oh this really stinks. I checked my two phones on the compatibility list for cell service when that was posted and now I just happen to read about this list for WiFi calling. Kind of late to the party with this tidbit, don’t you think?

Both my phones are not on the WiFi list, I live in an area with limited cell service and depend on WiFi calling.
Really unhappy with this late notice and that I now have to buy two new phones, elsewhere.

7 Likes

Do be aware that the new network (AT&T) may have different coverage than the previous network, so perhaps the cellular coverage won’t be as much of an issue. That said, I agree, it stinks and is remarkable that Republic didn’t have this information earlier.

3 Likes

I question whether it is remarkable, or a corporate decision, smells like the latter.

Decision implies malice and I don’t think that’s it but I’ll certainly go with incompetence.

4 Likes

It’s amazing to me that a company (Republic) that encouraged and relied on its members to use wifi calling for years would make such a major change in direction that so many phones will no longer support wifi calling. I think the company owes its long-term members an explanation for such a major change.

3 Likes

well this really stinks. 3 phones with Repubulic, one purchased only months ago, and none of them are going to be compatible on the 5.0 plans for wifi calling and cellular does not work at all where I live. Forcing us to buy 3 new phones we feel is a good time to look and see what better options might be out there. I was happy with Republic for 3 years and even had friends sign up. I could understand maybe my 3 year old phone, but not that one that is months old, it’s not like the phones are free.

3 Likes

Remember that Republic is not Republic anymore, or at least it isn’t the same Republic we’ve grown used to and comfortable with. It’s now owned and controlled by DISH. This is a different ballgame altogether, I’m sorry to say.

2 Likes

It’s simple the Republic Wireless telecom was bought by Dish and the new owners decided to take the company in another direction,

1 Like

See, Republic didn’t. Republic traded capital to continue to grow Relay, for Republic. Those that were at Republic are now at Relay and those that are running the New Republic are, well, proving that they didn’t understand or care what Republic was, with a helping of sheer incompetence on top. But seeing that it’s the same company that has managed to lose a Republic worth of customers every month since they acquired Boost, I’m not sure why I’m surprised.

Edited to add: From a business perspective it can be reasonably argued that the new ownership of Republic shouldn’t care at all what Republic’s existing customers think. Republic had about 200k customers at the time of the sale. Boost (also owned by Dish) loses that many customers every single month. From a pure math/financial perspective, that argues that the existing customer base is meaningless. That leads you to the fact that phones sold moving forward will fully support the new network partner and maybe no one really cared (from a business perspective) if the phones existing Republic customers have will fully work. If even 50% of Republic’s customers churn that’s barely two weeks of customers lost at Boost.

3 Likes