WiFi calling compatibility on Republic Wireless 5.0 plans

ticket (#2208953)

I carefully described the problem in this ticket and whoever failed to read the description “escalated” the ticket into the master ticket covering problems porting from 4.0 to 5.0. Sigh. That port was successful for my phone and it worries me they will get further confused and trash my SO’s phone which remains in my 4.0 account. @southpaw no rush but if you every find yourself want to kick some ■■■■ in Denver… :grinning:

Republic Wireless saved me from AT&T…allowed me to introduce my son to ‘cellular’ technology…and I thank you dearly.
WiFi calling, only with AT&T sanctioned phone’s is like a full circle…just say’in.

1 Like

This is the price to be paid for Republic moving away from the proprietary Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) technology used to power WiFi calling on previous Republic plans. Many members have asked for precisely that in the name of a wider choice of phones, a “real” mobile number (for use with Venmo and other popular apps and services who as a matter of their policy refuse VoIP numbers), potential eventual iPhone support, etc.

As with most things in life, that which has advantages also has its disadvantages. When relying on carrier WiFi calling, the partner carrier (AT&T in the case of Republic 5.0) makes the call as to which phones are supported for WiFi calling on their network.

1 Like