Wifi connected, says I have emergency call only... it calls out and takes calls in but not always

What phone do you have? Moto Z

What plan are you on? I live outside the US and only us wifi except when in US on basic $15/mo no data

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text? I only need wifi

Issue Description

As you are totally reliant on WiFi there are a couple of things that you need to consider:

• Doze, a function of Android turns off the phones ability to receive/send using the WiFi radios to preserve battery. This normally kicks in at about 60 mins after the phone goes to sleep (no display)… but the time can vary by phone types and/or code levels. Many of us have ‘overcome’ this by use of MacroDroid a free app that allows setting up routines to monitor & run.
  • I have uploaded a different version to the apps Template site. It is called 'Doze Recovery RW 2 (beta)". You can either program the one that BillG has published or download and open the MacroDroid App, then access the Templates square, Tap on Latest and scroll until you find or Search for Doze Recovery RW 2 (beta) … save and activate.
    • Post back any questions or feedback
  • Your WiFi may need to be cleaned up to get the best results … you may want to start with Quick Check #1/2
    Router Tweaks - Keep WiFi 1st - a Community Guide
  • You should also /Go into Airplane mode and then turn WiFi back on, else the cell radios will always be trying to connect to the non-existent cell.
2 Likes

THIS made a difference. With over a dozen routers affecting my space moving the channel made a difference in both 2.4 and 5. Going to airplane mode… who knew… I’ll come back after awhile and go through this again. I usually miss something[s] the first couple passes. thank you.

The Doze thing that I mentioned, happens to most, if not all Android phones. With Republic’s WiFi 1st they will first try calling on WiFi, if your’ not on WiFi (once you power up on WiFi, the phone and Republic’s servers continue to contact each other, at first every 10 seconds, then they lengthen it out eventually to 2 minutes. No response from the phone they mark you not avail and it then has to revert to cell.
The only thing that prevents a phone from going into Doze and losing the WiFi connection is to be plugged into a charger or turning the screen on. So if your phone sits idle for longer periods of time it will Doze, as soon as you pick it up you will normally see the Arc go solid when the connection is made.
Hopefully the chanell change helps enough, keep us posted

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer