WiFi Data Usage CAP on COMCAST

Hey All,

RE: Comcast Attack on netneutrality datausage

Up front… We use to have four phones on Republic (different accounts within household) and brought several other users (10+) over to Republic. However, back when the service model changed we moved to another WiFi Cell solution and left only our 8-year old on the limited Cell Only w/WiFi plan (still a good fit, for now). So, of all the people that I brought over to Republic… only my 8-year old and my two in-laws remain.

So, where am I going with this…
I already know from previous conversations on this forum that there is some really ‘different’ thoughts from people on here - such as, thinking Internet data is like water (precious commodity), don’t use more than you need, and well… if you use more then them… well, your a bad person… or at least that’s the feeling I got. So, I’m already ready for those type of responses… this is more for those folks who are really connected and use technology in their families daily life.

Anyway… we are a family of five (5) and have roughly ten (10) computers (laptops, desktops, and server), five (5) cell phones, and two (2) tablets, and two (2) Smart TV’s (one 4K) in the house.
NOTE: The 4K TV does use a lot more bandwidth… so, if your not willing to stream data… stay away from the good stuff.

We are responsible users:

• HomeServer downloads all Windows 10 updates ONCE and disseminates to LAN
  • We use PLEX (LAN) for all our local stored media
  • We use local BlueRay and 3D media
    We DONT:
  • No Torrents, No *Sharing
    NOTE: Yes, I will know if the kids try… running a BlueCoat appliance and control the gateway.

However, we do use services like:

• Alarm Relay (Home Alarm)

• Amazon Prime (purchased videos)

• Cell Service (w/WiFi off loading)

• Crash Plan Pro (Offsite Cloud Backup)

• Google Home

• Ooma (Home VoIP)

• Pandora (Music)

• Republic Wireless

• Skype (video call)

• Netflix (entertain)

• YouTube (education/entertain)
    Which is to say we have a life and are well connected.

*The only sharing we use to allow was for the in-laws (retired), on a budget; we allowed them to use the free Crash Plan app to backup their computers to our Home-server. However, due to COMCAST now metering all data (up/down) we have stopped this “free” sharing. So, the COMCAST effect is already starting to trickle down…

For those who don’t read between the lines… once one bottom-line bean counter starts it… the others will follow suit.
If your with COMCAST, the Republic Wireless model is built on the concept of off-loading calling to the Internet.
COMCAST wants to force people back into “bundles” or “packages”:

• Partner with their cell provider
  • Use their home phone service
  • Use their Amazon, Pandora, Netflix like services

Unfortunately, I’m new to Comcast, only 7 months into my contract of 24…
However, if they don’t do an about-face on this policy… on principal alone… I’ll vote with my feet when I can.

R/,
Chad

1 Like

Hi @chadh.b9bfrp,

Bottom line (and particularly with the incoming administration), it’s highly unlikely Comcast will reverse itself regarding usage caps. I can’t speak to other potential providers in your area but Comcast’s only real competitor in my area (AT&T Uverse) also caps data use, albeit at a relatively generous 1TB.

I will say Republic’s voice and texting services over WiFi (and VoIP in general) use trivial amounts of Internet data compared to the other services you listed. Video streaming (in particular high definition video) is the bandwidth hog. Using a Republic phone for Internet data is really no different from using any smartphone with any service provider for the same purpose.

what level is the cap you have every thing I read is Comcast has up the cap to 1 TB

(when I move away from Comcast residential service it was at 300 GB but hardly enforced this is up from the original 100 GB and 250 GB I had when I first sighed up)

note my business account has no limits (but also currently no requirement to have TV or phone package which I never used)

I’ve cut the cord on bundled services and currently use AT&T Uverse solely for Internet. Most of my streaming is out of market sports (if one is willing to be creative in market teams are a possibility as well). If AT&T’s 1TB cap were to become an issue for me, I’d look at business class service as well.

from my usage history (fr my router) I been well under a 1 TB (just over the 300 GB) but I only have a few computers most of my traffic is the Netflix/Prime on just 1 computer and a pad)

Here is an interesting note: Latest Trump FCC Pick Is First Without Record Opposing Net Neutrality | Fortune.comDavid Morken is Republic Wirless founder and former CEO

1 Like

I’ve noted Mr. Morken’s selection and it would seem to be a positive sign. On the other hand, the three previous picks for the FCC transition team have all been on record as opposing current FCC regulations regarding net neutrality. I’m going to stay away from arguing that’s a good or bad thing since political debate is inappropriate here. I think stating the facts, as reported in the article you linked, regarding their positions is acceptable.

The above said, Tom Wheeler (outgoing FCC Chairmen and architect of the current regulatory regime) was once a most effective lobbyist for Comcast, so folks positions on these issues can and do evolve over time.

1 Like

My SO has CableOne at her condo where she streams Netflix and Amazon Prime for a few hours every day. A few years ago we installed a Dropcam (now Nest) at her place. She didn’t subscribe to their paid recording service but much to our dismay we discovered the camera, when on, streams continuously to their service whether or not one chooses to use it. In conjunction with her streaming activity the monthly allotment was consumed in about 20 days. The only way around this it to manually toggle the camera off and on so it only streams when one wants it to.

FWIW, the last VOIP service I used that came out and specified their bitrate was Vonage at 100kb/s. That comes to a few 10’s of GB/month if you’re on the phone 24/7. RW doesn’t say a rate, but should be able to do a lot better with the OPUS codec they use.

Good Day DRM186,

Well, I intentionally didn’t mention the 1TB cap… but that is what Comcast has just put on us in Colorado.
I stayed more on the responsible side of usage because so many people are fast to jump on the idea if you use more than 1TB you abuse it. Well, I look at it from being an responsible IT person with a full family of five… the kids are locked down and even their friends can bring their own devices because the BlueCoat appliance keeps them safe. Any way, I can’t believe we are going backwards now.

Comcast tries to spin 1TB as a lot… maybe for one person… not for a family.
For those who don’t do IT stuff; the old 56K modem could still move 17% of Comcast’s limit in a month.
By the Numbers:
1 TB is 1024 GB (COMCAST LIMIT)
1 GB is 1024 MB
56K modem - minus overhead, to be fair, is 52K.
52K x 24 hours = 560 MB a day or 16,800 MB (~17 GB) in a month. Pretty darn close to 1/5 of Comcast’s new nickle/dime you policy.
Our Comcast package includes 75MB download speeds… at full throttle we could saturate and hit the 1TB limit in 32 hours.
But now, Comcast wants to charge all its users an additional fee, up to $200 per month.
:: shaking head ::

I just see it a threat to all the other business that try to do good stuff like RW.

Good Day BillG,

Good to know… I’ll check ours; we have six (6) 360 degree 12 MP HD cameras mounted outside… however, they are all in a separate v-lan, which should NOT have WAN access. Worth looking at… thx.

1 Like

A Comcast Wi-Fi cap? To bypass that just turn off or restrict access to Wi-Fi on their router and add, over ethernet cabling, another router between it and your network. They will have no way of knowing if the data coming from your network is over Wi-Fi or not…

This won’t reduce your overall consumption, which seems to be the focus of the discussion so far, but at least it addresses the topic.

chadh.b9bfrp wrote:

Good Day DRM186,

Comcast tries to spin 1TB as a lot… maybe for one person… not for a family.
For those who don’t do IT stuff; the old 56K modem could still move 17% of Comcast’s limit in a month.
By the Numbers:
1 TB is 1024 GB (COMCAST LIMIT)
1 GB is 1024 MB
56K modem - minus overhead, to be fair, is 52K.
52K x 24 hours = 560 MB a day or 16,800 MB (~17 GB) in a month. Pretty darn close to 1/5 of Comcast’s new nickle/dime you policy.

17 GB is about 1/60 (1.6%) of a TB.

It’s actually a ISP data cap.

Here is the title of his thread:

WiFi Data Usage CAP on COMCAST

Wi-Fi isn’t his ISP. Comcast is.

Good Afternoon @chadh.b9bfrp

agree my small family of 3 who are all gone most of the day will not use as much as a larger family

do you have any statistics on the amount of day your family actually consumes in a month

I also pointed out at least in my area Comcast has always had a cap on data 4 years ago it at 300 GB I have no been watching what it’s been since I left for a business class service until today when I look it up and the 1 TB was shown

also note if the TOS changes (ie a cap place in mid contract) you may be able to get out of that contract

From Comcast …Part of the FAQs About Our Data Usage Plan.

Bolding is mine for emphasis

Plan Overview

The Terabyte Internet Data Usage Plan provides you with 1 TB (1024 GB) of Internet data usage each month as part of your monthly XFINITY Internet service. If you choose to **use more than 1 TB in a month, we will automatically add blocks of 50 GB **to your account for an additional fee of $10 each. Your charges, however, will not exceed $200 each month, no matter how much you use. And, we’re offering you two courtesy months, so you will not be billed the first two times you exceed a terabyte. This data plan is based on a principle of fairness. Those who use more Internet data, pay more. And those who use less Internet data, pay less.

It is important to know that more than 99% of our customers do not use 1 terabyte of data and are not likely to be impacted by this plan, so they can continue to stream, surf, and download without worry. To see your actual usage, sign in to My Account.

A terabyte is a massive amount of data. What can you do with a terabyte each month?

• Stream between 600 and 700 hours of HD video
  • Play online games for more than 12,000 hours
  • Stream more than 15,000 hours of music
  • Upload or download more than 60,000 hi-res photos
1 Like
Message an
Expert customer