WiFi only and Voicemail forwarding

If I change my 2.0 plan to WiFi only and enable voicemail forwarding to a non-republic number will it essentially act as traditional call forwarding if the phone is not connected to WiFi or not powered on?

0 Likes

With the phone turned off, yes. The plan change is optional.

0 Likes

Thanks. Sorry, I guess I have 2 questions in 1 there. If I am on wifi only and not connected to wifi will it act the same as if powered off?

0 Likes

I’m afraid not. The only way to keep the phone from ringing first is to turn it off. It’s a limitation of voicemail forwarding, sorry.

0 Likes

How will it ring if I am on wifi only and not connected to wifi?

0 Likes

Candidly, it’s not a scenario I’ve tested. The fact the phone doesn’t ring on your end doesn’t mean your caller won’t hear ringback on their phone while Republic attempts to contact your phone. But, you have a point, it might work.

Edited to Add:

What would be the advantage rather than just turning the phone off? With no cell plan and not connected to WiFi, the phone can’t do much.

0 Likes

OK, thanks for your help. But it is true that if the phone is off no ringback will be heard by the caller?

No advantage, just wondering what would happen if I’m out of wifi range (ie between work and home and forget to power down for the trip.)

0 Likes

If the phone is off, the call gets forwarded immediately. I think I can test your alternate scenario but not this evening. Maybe tomorrow.

1 Like

Thanks for all your help and responses. I really appreciate it.

0 Likes

You’re most welcome!

I fired up my old Moto E2 on Republic’s WiFi only plan this morning. Your intuition that a legacy phone on the WiFi only plan but not connected to any WiFi network will immediately forward using voicemail forwarding (same as if it were turned off) is correct.

2 Likes

Great, thanks!
Yeah, I wondered how the network would even know if the phone was off. (Unless it required you to power down while connected to wifi or else it really wasn’t wifi only and got system info via cell.)

0 Likes

Even a completely deactivated phone is capable of connecting to cellular towers for 911 emergency calls, so short of Airplane mode or shutting the phone off there’s always some connectivity.

Bottom line, what you want to do is feasible.

0 Likes

closed #13

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

0 Likes

Message an
Expert customer