WiFi saved networks passwords lost

G1
$10/month Plan
just Talk&Text
Occasionally my phone (Moto G 1st gen) loses all passwords to saved WiFi networks. Do all phones do this? Is there any way to save the network names and passwords so I can add them back?

Sometimes when the phone’s Android System Cache/Partition is full it will have issues like this. Start with clearing the cache partition, if the problem persists, there could be something else going on.

Here is a link to the instructions for phones that were upgraded to Android 5. This will take about 20 minutes or more to complete:

if you have a different Android version, please let me know and I’ll provide the instruction for that version. You can check by going to Settings > About Phone > Android Version:

(Moderator’s note: Instructions removed, since the link will always provide the most up-to-date instructions, but Community posts will not be updated should the instructions need to change.)

Wifi authentication problem say poor signal on Moto g

this is a Google issue (I know My second Gen Moto X also does this)
not sure if new version of Android OS (on 3.0 phones) do this or not

Thanks for the feedback. That web page says: Clearing your cache on a regular basis is a good housekeeping tip for your phone. Would twice a day be often enough? That seems like a lot of work, but maybe it gets easier with practice.

Once a month or less often would be considered regular basis to me unless the phone was acting up. If done on a semi regular basis it should take less than 5 minutes from start to finish.
…

I think it is more important to know that “clearing cache” is a tool available to you that may clear up abnormal phone behavior. I haven’t done a cache clearing in 6 months and the phone is running just fine.

Cache clearing is required for apps that do a sloppy job of memory management.
If you install/uninstall several apps to try them out from time to time, you might be more likely to need a cache clearing to clear out any cached data that may interfere with normal phone operation.

Think of it as using drano…if you are careful enough about what you put in the sink…you may never need to use it…if you are more reckless, even a daily bottle of drano might not be enough to solve the issue :slight_smile:

As for your specific issue of “forgetting” WiFi passwords… one of the community members @mathewc had written a lengthy discussion called “WiFi Amnesia”… I can’t quickly locate it. I believe he experienced it on his Moto X2. If I remember correctly, this behavior had some correlation to his battery discharging…when the battery was deeply discharged then the next time it woke up, it would lose the saved WiFi. Does your issue have similar correlation to the battery discharge? I have not experienced this issue on my two Moto X1s and a newer Moto X Pure.

@amitl: That’s useful info. I have done a deep battery discharge only a couple times in the 3.5 years I have had the phone, and I didn’t notice any problems. Losing the WiFi passwords happens rarely, but makes saving networks kind of useless when it does. I have only 4 apps loaded that are not part of the original collection, and I don’t use them much. I use the device mostly for phone calls and occasional texts. I never make purchases or do banking on it. What seems strange is that only the saved network password are affected, and nothing else. Is this a Republic Wireless issue?

As @drm186 noted above, it is likely a Google issue. I don’t think it is a Republic Wireless issue.

I think it might be a Republic issue. Happened to me today. Annoying, but not a show stopper.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.