Will this J3 from Amazon work with Republic?

Hi @thomasl.vlqbzl,

I’m afraid not as it’s the AT&T branded variant.

I could really use some help finding a Samsung J3 phone that will work. Any suggestions?

1 Like

This is a good starting point. Republic Wireless BYOD - Swappa

2 Likes

Hi @thomasl.vlqbzl,

Upon further review it looks like it might work after all. Amazon notes the “model number” as SM-J337UZKAXAA. SM-J337UZKAXAA is actually Samsung’s manufacturer’s part number (MPN) for the U.S. unlocked variant, which third party retailers sometimes use as the model number.

The reason for my initial answer that it wouldn’t work is the title mentions J337A, which suggests the AT&T variant. Despite that inconsistency, I think it’s worth taking a shot. If it turns out to be the AT&T variant after all, Amazon has consumer friendly return policies.

4 Likes

Thanks, everyone. I’ll try this Samsung from Amazon. My wife really likes the smaller size of her current J3, so that is actually one of the big issues. Hoping this will work and we can transfer her number and account to the new phone with no problem. We very much appreciate Republic Wireless!!

6 Likes

I’d read the reviews at Amazon first, and ask questions there if needed. I’m reading reviews saying that it is AT&T branded, and even comes with their software. Can the Republic compatibility software, that’s part of their store, show if this is acceptable or not?
Edit: “We only support the North America unlocked version of this phone. Look for this model number in the product details: SM-J337U.”
“The Samsung Galaxy J3 (2018) cannot be used on Republic Wireless’ CDMA network.”

" Samsung Galaxy J3 (2018) J337A"
That would cause me concern, and the reviews about it being branded would turn me away from it.

The AT&T specific version doesn’t work. Here’s the list of phones compatible with Republic Wireless.
https://help.republicwireless.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005789107-Republic-Wireless-Phones

The Network question is that it won’t work on Sprint as a cell partner, only T-Mobile.

2 Likes

Well, as predicted, the phone I ordered from Amazon did not work.

What my wife wants is a SMALL phone that is compatible with Republic Wireless. All of the new phones Republic sells are larger than the approx. 5.5" phone she wants.

Any suggestions at all on where to find one? Thanks for helping.

1 Like

The unfortunate issue is that the manufacturers just largely aren’t making the phone she wants anymore. The reason you have to go back to a 3 year old phone is because the more recent versions are larger than she wants. Right now the smallest phone that’s recent is the Pixel 4A. Even that phone, on the latest version, the 5a, has jumped significantly in size.

That said, I would make sure to look at the chart here: Detailed Supported Phone Features As bezels have shrunk, larger screen sizes don’t always mean larger phones. As an example the J3 2018 you were looking at has a 5" screen but is 5.62 x 2.76". On the other hand, the Pixel 4A with a 5.81" screen is only 5.68 x 2.73" and the Samsung Galaxy S21 with a 6.2" screen is only 5.97 x 2.8".

3 Likes

I would suggest that a Google Pixel 4a is about as close as you’re going to get. If you’re interested in one, don’t take too long because they likely won’t be available much longer.

2 Likes

Would a Google Pixel 4a bought at Target work? Or should I try to find one directly through RW?

This is a compatible version: Google Pixel 4a Unlocked (128gb) - Black : Target

2 Likes

Fantastic! So I’d use the SIM card from her existing phone for the Google Pixel 4a, yes? Or would I need to order a new SIM card from RW?

(Sorry for the painfully dumb questions.)

1 Like

Hi @thomasl.vlqbzl,

You may use the existing GSM SIM in your wife’s 2016 Galaxy J3.

2 Likes

@thomasl.vlqbzl,
Are you able to get a full refund?

1 Like

Yes, I got a refund for the other phone that wouldn’t work.

2 Likes

My wife’s RW account has now been transferred to her new Pixel 4a.

Contacts and photos from her old phone transferred to the Pixel 4a.

However, messages from her old phone have NOT transferred over to the Pixel 4a. Is there a way for that to happen?

Continued thanks.

1 Like

Hi, thank you very much for guiding me to the Pixel 4a. My wife’s RW account has now been transferred successfully. The contacts and photos from her old phone also transferred.

Unfortunately, messages from her old phone have NOT transferred over to the Pixel 4a. Is there a way for that to happen?

Thank you so much.

1 Like

This link will give you excellent advice from a fellow Community Member on how to transfer data between your phones including messages.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer