Will unlocking the bootloader of my phone interfere with phone calls?

I have a Moto G6 and I was attempting to flash TWRP to it. However, in order to do so, I need to unlock my bootloader. Based on this website, unlocking my bootloader might cause me to “lose some key functions like telephone, radio, and audio playback.” I assume that the lose of telephone functionality is based on a carrier’s rules. Is this the case? If so, is this true within Republic? Thank you for your time.

Republic’s position on such things is here: Rooting and User Modification – Republic Help

That being said, if your goal is to replace the factory OS with something like Lineage, doing so may very well keep your phone from working with Republic as only phones running an official manufacturer’s OS release are allowed on the network.

Thank you for your quick reply. So, what you are saying is that as long as I keep my OS, I will still be able to make calls and text and whatnot on Republic’s network?

How old is your G6? Beyond, Republic’s stance have you read Motorola’s documentation? Last I looked, they’ll provide the bootloader unlock key for factory unlocked phones but once bootloader unlocked your manufacturer’s warranty is void.

The bottom line is it’s your phone and you have the right to unlock the bootloader and install software such as TWRP. If, however, in the process of doing so something breaks you and you alone are responsible. You should not count on either Republic or Motorola helping fix anything that might break once you’ve modified the phone.

Motorola’s word on the matter is here: https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/standalone/bootloader/unlock-your-device-a

2 Likes

My phone is about 6 months old. I will be testing any changes made on an older phone I have, a Moto E2, which is about 2-3 years old.

Is this a Republic Moto E2? If so, you won’t be able to test there because there’s no known way to unlock the bootloader on that phone. And ignore me if I’m being too nosy, but what’s the end goal here?

1 Like

Yes, it is a Republic Moto E2. I did not know that about Republic E2s. My end goal here is to run nmap at a root level and install TWRP to make complete backups of my phone. I have a friend who jailbroke his old iPhone, and while I realize that rooting and jailbreaking are different, I like the basic system tweaks he has made and new apps that he has been able to install. Is there an alternative to rooting and/or unlocking the bootloader that I am not aware of?

Not for making complete backups on Motos that I’m aware of. Google does do a reasonably good job backing up most things if allowed to, so I don’t see this as necessary (to each there own on that though).

Android is, however, much more flexible than iOS when it comes to installing apps from unofficial sources. That process is known as sideloading. Caution should be taken with that as well.

1 Like

Vastly different. Jailbreaking is the equivalent of simply switching on the ability to load apps from sources other than the play store. Rooting on the other hand is gaining the equivalent of administrator access to the system and potentially giving apps those same permissions. VERY different. Rooting is far more potentially damaging/dangerous.

1 Like

If/when I root my phone, do all apps automatically have administrator access, or I have to grant it to them?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer