Would Love an RW Phone Compatibility Update (Pixel 5a, Pixel 6, new Motorola phones, new Samsung Phones)

You are in the exact same situation I am in. My Pixel 6 is arriving this week and I intend to use it. See my thread here. Switching to another provider and keeping Republic beta discount?

I’m prepared to double pay for service for a couple of months, but if RW doesn’t have their new approval plan in place by the end of the year, I have some hard decisions to make.

This is a perfectly reasonable approach. Out of curiosity, is Google Fi offering 3-months free service as it did when the Pixel 5a was released?

They are not offering the three months free, and I’m a little bummed.

They are offering $200 Google Fi credit…which amounts to the same thing. Also looks like they are giving Pixel Buds A-series.
The Google Fi credit only applies to a new port-in… no credit if you get a new phone number.

Edit: Sorry this info is for Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro… I thought that’s what you said earlier in the thread you were looking to get…you’re right no 3-mo free for Pixel 5a…looks like they’re pushing everyone to the subscription plan

2 Likes

Will the Google Pixel 6 & 5a work on Republic?

1 Like

Hi @slygman and welcome to the Community!

Currently, I’m afraid the answer is no.

With that said, I’m going to move your post into an already existing topic on the subject. You may be interested in reading through it starting here:

I am also really bummed that we’re not getting the newer phones approved. On the other hand, my buying a new (unsupported) phone because my RW phone was dying has forced me to try other services. I’ve been trying out mint and it’s working out great. I am not sure I would have tried another service had it not been for this complete lack of new phone support. So in a way, RW helped me find better, cheaper alternatives which still allow me to have the latest tech, and it’s awesome. I think we’ll be leaving once our annual plans are up, double-paying isn’t great but long term it pays off.

2 Likes

This is an interesting take on the state of affairs. I think from the point of acquisition to launch of newer plans was fairly rapid in the case of Ting. It seems to be taking a bit longer on Boost, they pissed off a lot of customers by sending them free sim cards calling it Extended Network trying to switch them over to T-mobile network…which was not a good experience if you review their discussion boards. They have recently started AT&T activations over there although so far it is only limited to new lines of service. I do feel like RW subscribers are getting under-prioritized in this mix because we are a much smaller pool compared to Boost…and as far as DISH is considered we are one of the total combo of DISH+Ting+RW. I moved one line over to Mint and so far the experience has been quite good. The one rap on Mint is that they don’t offer roaming coverage for voice…this hasn’t been an issue for our use case. We were mostly looking for more data for that particular line…and we’re getting a lot more data for less than the price of the no data plan on RW. DISH needs to acknowledge this fact and adapt quickly to introduce new plans or deal with the continued loss of subscribers.

4 Likes

The Fi plan that is free for 3 months is the pricey one. At the end of 3 months, I will go down (you can change anytime) to the bottom plan and only pay $4 or so more than RW>. this is in case RW does not take my Pixel 5a by then.
RW for 4 years ~ 2 phones~ happy~ but my pixel 2 died… I had $$ at the Google Store so the 5a5G was the best for me…came to the same as a Moto…
Watching and waiting…
Just wanted you to know that the Fi plan can be changed and is not much more than RW … with more Gigs… IF this RW/Pixel 5 and 6 is stalled longer…

How long has it been since RW stopped approving new phones? Just curious bc I am waiting too. Wondering how long everyone has been waiting for. Thanks

Looks like July 8, 2021 was the last time they announced new phones in the RW store and as BYOP. But I don’t know how long the approval hold has been in place.

Edit to add: This was the first I heard of the approval hold (Sept 7): Pixel 5a 5G: How long does it take for Republic to verify "bring your own phone" compatibility? - #21 by southpaw

2 Likes

Well . . . . . . this seems to be a heavily repetitive subject in the community now.

It’s been a good run. 🏃‍♂️🏃‍♀️

We’ve all made it through the last 10 years with good service and saving hundreds.

Like the day Sprint arrived in Orange County CA in 1994. I went from $380 a month on a large brick Motorola phone with 300 minutes and $0.67 for each additional minute along with a beeper for $10 to a Sony flip earpiece sleek phone with 17 hours for $75. My boss bought 12 of these immediately and dropped his $1800 a month phone plan.

I guess we should be happy that cellular technology has been faster and more affordable that public space flight. :rofl:

Things change, life moves on.

Wifi handover is dying :coffin: and we’re moving on to 5g with 30 to 60mbps almost everywhere we go.
Tmobile has so much they are offering home 5g service.
My kids have been using Spectrum mobile for over a year now after 8 years with republic and they love it.
With plans like $14 a month for 1 gig and now $29.99 per for 2+ users at 20 gigs+ on Spectrum & Verizon networks with no contracts.

I feel like with the ever increasing call, voicemail, connectivity issues and the definite loss of wifi handover in the future, it’s no wonder that new phones like the Pixel 6 and 6 Pro are not available in the republic store.

Our kids have figured out that we have given up checking voicemail and they just use Google Duo to reach us live, otherwise text.

I expect T-mobile to be the end run here.

The question is how much worse can it get while dragging the commited lifers like me to a bitter taste and then leaving.
:thinking:

1 Like

Wifi handover is dying

Why do you say that? I don’t know enough about how Wifi handover works (or doesn’t work) with 5G.

Wifi handover was originally a necessary tool.
Even Verizon and such would sell $249 or give out internet access boxes.
I had one for about 3 months until I switched to republic and no longer needed it.

These were for people in areas that they couldn’t keep their contractual obligations and they (Verizon) were in breach so I had the right to cancel all 4 of my contracts without having to pay the $2400+ breach fees.
Rural areas have been last for tower upgrades in the past due to the lack of population, hence money.

Now the first of many pandemics to come has been an eye opener for work from home. Not that this is really that new, just more prevalent now.

Originally republic wireless members were very happy with 2g and 3g. Now with 4g available almost everywhere and 5g being installed at extremely high rates the need for WiFi handover is dead.

In 2013 I couldn’t talk from my home in a rural area to the town 20 minutes away. Today I can talk the entire way without interruption.
Thank you tmobile and 4g. :sunglasses:

As for 5g speeds, I’m sure that if we have enjoyed 2g, 3g, and 4g then the blazing fast 5g is just a precursor to 6g which is already in development.
Now if you take into account that 5g can handle 20 Gbps :exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head: and tmobile is offering home 5g service instead of standard internet service you can conceptualize the need for WiFi handover is dead. :coffin::coffin::coffin:

It’s been a good run and it’s time to move on. Or maybe this:

Life

Lennon said “it’s what happens when you’re busy making plans.”

When we have a green light to start living life again, to enter a new Normal?

What will you hold onto from this time?

Will we care more about work flexibility, employee protections, medical coverage?

Will anti-racism efforts be prioritized or forgotten?

Will mass shootings become the exception rather than the rule?

Will mutualism finally become our one true focus?

Will there be any real change?

Not likely, “Pandemic” author Sonia Shah said on a recent episode of John Oliver’s “Last Week Tonight.”

“We usually go right back to business as usual as soon as the thing ends, as soon as we have a drug, as soon as we have a vaccine,” she said. “We don’t really do the fundamental social change.”

We are human after all.

I’ve already experienced that.
My loss of normalcy happened in April 2001. When life changed, there was a period of adjustment. It took a while to get used to it. Then I did.
It’s happening again right now in the United States as more people are vaccinated and infection rates decrease. Already, the pulls of Normal are tugging.

For all the growth and change and adaptation that has happened in the past year, it is hard to even define what a post-pandemic normalcy might mean. The dictionary defines it as conforming to a standard — usual, typical, or expected. Is that really what we want?

“If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know how amazing you can be,” Maya Angelou once said.

Without Normal, the path forward is open, the opportunities broader. What if there’s a whole lot of amazing that stands to be lost if Normal returns? What if, instead of banking on normalcy, we focused on that one-of-a-kind ability to adapt and evolve? Maybe that’s the way forward, instead of simply reconciling with what was and trying to recreate something that’s already had its day.

It’s too late, anyway. Remember, Normal: You and me, we already broke up.

Just wanted to chime in with my 2c to add to some of the other voices.

Been with RW for 7 years, through many changes; changes in device availability (nearly universally positive), plan structure (hit or miss, but always a good enough value), and service features (sad to lose things like Republic Anywhere, but I appreciate the innovation even if not everything turns out to be viable to maintain indefinitely).

I’m all for investments in future improvements, even if it means some delays. Personally, I don’t need to replace a device right this moment so this particular delay may or may not end up affecting me in practice.

But a delay stretching to several months across a couple high profile device releases (in a device family you’ve supported before), with a lack of transparency about whether we should expect the be able to use new devices in a few weeks, a few months, or longer gives me pause.

I’m not considering dropping service over this but, having signed up for annual plans since they first became available, this is the first time I’ve regretted doing so. Next year, I’ll probably switch back to monthly for the flexibility to leave “just in case”. Which I suppose means more money for RW anyway :slight_smile:

Now, RW’s device selection has improved massively since the early days and ultimately, RW has never been about having compatibility with the latest and greatest devices. It sounds like RW is working hard to make another huge improvement in this area. What gives me pause here is the lack of willingness to give your members an idea of how long the delay is going to extend, or what if anything you’ve considered doing in the meantime to revisit the decision to delay all further device onboardings until the large project around the new onboarding process is completed.

Is it possible to get some clarity on this, even if you can’t commit to any specific dates?

2 Likes

My suspicion is that RW/Dish may have come to the conclusion that their unique VOIP/wifi first structure is unsustainable (and doesn’t provide as many benefits as it used to). It is that structure that makes it necessary to test the compatibility of each phone model. Giving up the structure would allow many more phones but a transition to a cell first structure could be difficult.

This is pure speculation on my part but their stopping sale of the extend home device got me suspecting it.

1 Like

I work in NYC sometimes deep within the heart of a building. There are no cell towers that can penetrate through all those walls. So, my company put WiFi access points all over the place. This is how we can use our smartphones to communicate. I can use my RW number OR I use Google Voice. Either work very well with the access points. WiFi handover is important to certain people at certain times.

3 Likes

Indeed it is. It’s important to remember, however, while Republic pioneered blended WiFi first cellular as a backup calling and text messaging, the rest of the industry has since caught on. Today’s cellular carriers all offer WiFi calling and text messaging as do most MVNOs piggy backing off of their infrastructure.

The biggest difference is because they are cellular carriers, their implementation of WiFi calling and text messaging is cell first, WiFi when cell is unavailable. Your example of being deep inside a large building is a perfect example of a place where cellular signal would have great difficulty reaching.

3 Likes

Bingo :relieved:
We have a winner.
Great point Roland.
Cell first is the key here. WiFi handover is for special needs anymore.

On a brighter note :notes::joy: for a free :free: future.

Google duo is free :free:
Uses any number and allows calls, text, video and pre-recorded video text messages and is available for all devices so you don’t miss anything.

We’ve been using the heck out of it :smiley:

I’ll miss you guys and republic wireless too.
:relieved:

Regardless of what becomes of Republic’s proprietary blended WiFi/cell service (and I have no inside information one way or the other); Republic Wireless isn’t going anywhere. I’m confident DISH didn’t buy the Republic brand just to shut it down.

If there’s an alternative provider that better meets one’s needs and wants for cellular service, that’s fine. Otherwise, I see no reason not to stick around and see what develops with Republic. The competition isn’t going anywhere either.

4 Likes