Your phone number was rejected by Venmo, Twitter, a bank, or other third party service. Why?

What phone do you have?
Samsung Note 10
What plan are you on?
whatever the default is
Does your plan include data, or just talk & text?
data - 1gb

Issue Description

My cell phone is listed as a landline, and now I cannot receive zelle payments to that number. How can I have the number designated as a mobile number?

Sorry, this is not something that can be done, see the Republic response below, and review the community update on the subject

1 Like

Hi All,

I’m in the New York area, where I spent 30 years as a free-lance film editor, These days I teach at NYU in the undergraduate Dept. of Film & Television.

Recently I “cut the cord” with my TV provider, and am now using my Republic wireless phone as my only number. Yay! Saving money! But not long afterword I had an upsetting experience with a credit card account, and I wonder if anyone else has encountered a problem like this using Republic Wireless as their only phone.

I’ve been updating various account settings to my Republic wireless number, and all went without a hitch until I got to one particular account. When I tried to change my number I was directed to call customer service, whereupon the rep placed an outgoing call to my Republic number which did not go through. She said that because Republic runs on VOIP technology – which she claimed was less secure --they would have to verify my identity before I would be allowed to change the number. I was directed to send them a photo of my driver’s license – and then using the phone, my face was scanned and compared to the photo on the driver’s license. The rep said that they could not match me to the photo, and so not only was she unable to change my phone number, she suspended my account!!

This was outrageous on so many levels that I called the next day and demanded to be reinstated. Eventually I was bumped up to a supervisor who apologized, and lifted the account hold.

I told y’all this story to find out if anything like this has happened to other Republic customers, and to question whether anyone has heard that VOIP technology is “less secure.” Thanks for listening!

Sincerely,
Julie

Hi @julies.looi28,

Welcome to our Member Community.

I’ve moved your post to a topic that’s more in line with the majority of what you wrote about, though we are also very glad to meet you and we’re glad you’re saving money!

The short answer is yes, others have shared similar experiences, but no it’s not that your phone service is any less secure than any other phone service, it’s just that apparently some institutions believe it’s easier for folks with bad intentions to spin up a VoIP phone number they can use to create trouble than to create trouble on a cellular number. So it’s not that your accounts are at risk or your phone service is at risk, but that the banks feel like there’s a higher chance you’re a hacker up to no good if your number is a VoIP number. Guilty by association, I guess.

Please look over the top post in this topic, and let us know if you have any questions.

1 Like

What phone do you have? Moto G play 2021

What plan are you on? My choice+1 GB plan

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text? all

Issue Description

I started using Moto G play 2021 from last month. While setting up my phone, i also tried to setup viber account in my phone, but it says "you cannot activate Viber using a VOIP number. Please try to activate Viber using a regular GSM number". I was surprised because i have been on this plan for 5 years and using viber with no issue on my previous Nexus 6P phone. How come suddenly my number became VOIP and cannot use viber??

I hope i will get some help with this issue.

Here is the reason:

But, wait, read this:

3 Likes

I’ve run across the issue of different places, when asking for my mobile number for verification purposes, not recognizing the number as a mobile line, giving me the error of not using a landline or a VoIP number…is there a way around this or is that just how the service is?

Hi @michaelc.tyirxe,

In short, it’s the nature of Republic’s service. Republic numbers are indeed Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP). Republic’s use of VoIP is part of the nature of its’ blended WiFi/cell service.

Some service providers object to VoIP numbers because according to the FCC, they are landlines (wireline is the more correct industry term) and these providers believe VoIP numbers are incapable of receiving text messages. There is nothing Republic can do to change this regulatory classification. As you know, your Republic number is fully capable of receiving both calls and text messages.

Other service providers believe VoIP numbers are a security risk. They are wrong about this, however, Republic cannot control the policy decisions of others.

You might consider asking the service providers in question about whitelisting (making an exception for) your Republic number. Some will do so, others will not.

With that said, I’ve moved your post into an already existing discussion on the topic.

3 Likes

Also Walmart Pharmacy and several hospital systems.

I have no problem with Walmart Pharmacy on my Republic service, nor HCA Hospitals. HCA uses shortcode 32222 which comes through with no issue and 45500 which I also have no problem with. What happens if you try to send the word “Help” to 45500?

I’ve had trouble with Walmart Pharmacy, Venmo, other hospital sites, and WeChat – all think my number is a landline.

Yes, I understand that. I’ve asked you to try a troubleshooting step based on the fact that I’m getting texts from a couple of providers mentioned in your list. What happens when you text “help” to 45500 which is the number that Walmart Pharmacy texts come from?

I don’t know about @johnm.9kxn3u, but I don’t get anything at all back when I text “Help” to 45500, and when I last had a prescription filled at Walmart, I never received the text message notifying me it was ready.

So for Walmart pharmacy at least, this sounds more like a Short Code Compatibility issue (described above), rather than a “landline number” classification problem.

I see the topic on discord app was closed with no solution. My number is also rejected as not a valid number so what is the fixx?

Hi @billy564u,

I’m sorry to say other than asking Discord to make an exception, there is no fix. Please allow me to provide some context. Republic numbers are Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP). Republic’s use of VoIP is part of the nature of its’ blended WiFi/cell service.

Some service providers object to VoIP numbers because according to the FCC, they are landlines (wireline is the more correct industry term) and these providers believe VoIP numbers are incapable of receiving text messages. There is nothing Republic can do to change this regulatory classification. As you know, your Republic number is fully capable of receiving both calls and text messages.

Other service providers believe VoIP numbers are a security risk. They are wrong about this, however, Republic cannot control the policy decisions of others.

With that said, I’m moving your post to an existing thread on the general subject.

1 Like

Hi, I have a Moto G4 Plus, have a talk, text, and data plan, and whenever a company or government agency needs to verify my identity with a text message, I get an error that they cannot verify my phone. I’ve tried it while on wi-fi and on cell. Strangely, it’s not every time, but often enough to create headaches. What’s up with this, and is there anything I can do about it? Is this just the nature of Republic Wireless?

Hi @garryp.idjisk Welcome to the community! I’ve moved your note to a topic that explains what you’re experiencing. If you scroll to the very first message in this thread, you’ll see the explanation you’re looking for.

Following…

I am having the same trouble of 'wireless phone verification error", which has barred me from using US Bank app, Ebay creditcard online account, and many more (can’t remember all right now). I think RW need to take an aggressive action working directly with these banks. Otherwise, it will force many RW users to seek for alternative service providers.

Hello,
I’m in the middle of paying off an item through Klarna. My card was stolen so I cancelled it. I’m trying to update my payment info but the Klarna app does not accept my phone number as a valid number. Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks

Hi @saraw.5zyavc and welcome to the Community!

I’ve taken the liberty of moving your question to an existing discussion that I believe explains the unfortunate circumstance you’ve run into with Klarna. Please click here: Your phone number was rejected by Venmo, Twitter, a bank, or other third party service. Why?.

1 Like