Your phone number was rejected by Venmo, Twitter, a bank, or other third party service. Why?

If you used your Republic number to set up Venmo a while ago, this isn’t uncommon. Or, if your number originated with another carrier then was transferred to Republic, it’s also not unusual. That said, Venmo’s current policy is to refuse Republic numbers when registering new accounts bacause of the VoIP classification.

tl;dr; your number(s) is an exception to Venmo’s current rule.

I went through the work around that was posted on the Republic Website but my issue was that when they sent the verification text notice back to me through the “phantom Republic number”, I could not receive it to verify. I was using a Pixel 3. I got a notice back from them that I needed a real cell phone line.

I’m confused. I have an android with Republic and use Venmo all the time…

Venmo has changed their policy on anyone through Republic are trying to join now. You apparently joined earlier than my attempt. B Guy

1 Like

SO my bank is going to two factor authentication, along with several other services I have. When I put in my number it states VOIP numbers do not work. In the past I could use google Voice as a work around, but it gives the same error.

Hi @ericv.apgbs2,

I’ve taken the liberty of moving your post to an already existing topic on the matter. Sadly, some banks do refuse VoIP numbers for 2FA. Republic does its best to lobby them. As an example, Republic recently convinced Wells Fargo to accept Republic numbers.

Google Voice numbers are also VoIP, so, generally, if an enterprise refuses Republic numbers for being VoIP, they’re not going to accept GV numbers either.

Please have a look at the top post in the thread:

Should you have additional questions, please let us know.

What phone do you have? Motorola E5 Play

What plan are you on? My Choice

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text?
Talk and text with the option of purchasing data when needed

Issue Description

I am trying to verify my account on the app Discord but it won’t accept my phone number as a valid mobile number. It keeps saying that it is a VoIP or landline number.

1 Like

Republic Wireless phone numbers are classified as VoIP numbers:

What phone do you have? Moto Z3 and Moto G6

What plan are you on? One Gig per month

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text? Yes, includes data

Issue Description

I am trying to register to use Glympse, a gps tracking app. Part of the registering sends a text with a code. For some reason my Republic phone numbers are not being excepted. Anyone have a suggested fix for this?

• I just downloaded, installed and registered Glympse to 2 different phones on RW with no problems getting the text to a Moto X4 and a Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra 5G.
    • You may want to try using cell connection (just turn off the device WiFi in Settings), just in case this might make a difference
    • Post back if the link I provided above is not what you are using

Maybe this has already been discussed, but I’m wondering if the numbers people are having problems with are mainly those initially supplied by RW or other VOIP provider. I’ve never had any refusals to accept mine that was originally a Verizon number, even by a bank others have reported problems with.

This should have no impact. The moment the number becomes active on Republic it gets reclassified. Databases are not instantly updated so it certainly is possible that a company might use old information for a short while, but otherwise, it makes no difference where the number originated.

1 Like

I created my account with the IRS by snail mail, and now I can make payments on line. I think it’s worth the extra trouble. Ditto the SSA.

What phone do you have?
Samsung Note 10
What plan are you on?
whatever the default is
Does your plan include data, or just talk & text?
data - 1gb

Issue Description

My cell phone is listed as a landline, and now I cannot receive zelle payments to that number. How can I have the number designated as a mobile number?

Sorry, this is not something that can be done, see the Republic response below, and review the community update on the subject

1 Like

Hi All,

I’m in the New York area, where I spent 30 years as a free-lance film editor, These days I teach at NYU in the undergraduate Dept. of Film & Television.

Recently I “cut the cord” with my TV provider, and am now using my Republic wireless phone as my only number. Yay! Saving money! But not long afterword I had an upsetting experience with a credit card account, and I wonder if anyone else has encountered a problem like this using Republic Wireless as their only phone.

I’ve been updating various account settings to my Republic wireless number, and all went without a hitch until I got to one particular account. When I tried to change my number I was directed to call customer service, whereupon the rep placed an outgoing call to my Republic number which did not go through. She said that because Republic runs on VOIP technology – which she claimed was less secure --they would have to verify my identity before I would be allowed to change the number. I was directed to send them a photo of my driver’s license – and then using the phone, my face was scanned and compared to the photo on the driver’s license. The rep said that they could not match me to the photo, and so not only was she unable to change my phone number, she suspended my account!!

This was outrageous on so many levels that I called the next day and demanded to be reinstated. Eventually I was bumped up to a supervisor who apologized, and lifted the account hold.

I told y’all this story to find out if anything like this has happened to other Republic customers, and to question whether anyone has heard that VOIP technology is “less secure.” Thanks for listening!

Sincerely,
Julie

Hi @julies.looi28,

Welcome to our Member Community.

I’ve moved your post to a topic that’s more in line with the majority of what you wrote about, though we are also very glad to meet you and we’re glad you’re saving money!

The short answer is yes, others have shared similar experiences, but no it’s not that your phone service is any less secure than any other phone service, it’s just that apparently some institutions believe it’s easier for folks with bad intentions to spin up a VoIP phone number they can use to create trouble than to create trouble on a cellular number. So it’s not that your accounts are at risk or your phone service is at risk, but that the banks feel like there’s a higher chance you’re a hacker up to no good if your number is a VoIP number. Guilty by association, I guess.

Please look over the top post in this topic, and let us know if you have any questions.

1 Like

What phone do you have? Moto G play 2021

What plan are you on? My choice+1 GB plan

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text? all

Issue Description

I started using Moto G play 2021 from last month. While setting up my phone, i also tried to setup viber account in my phone, but it says "you cannot activate Viber using a VOIP number. Please try to activate Viber using a regular GSM number". I was surprised because i have been on this plan for 5 years and using viber with no issue on my previous Nexus 6P phone. How come suddenly my number became VOIP and cannot use viber??

I hope i will get some help with this issue.

Here is the reason:

But, wait, read this:

3 Likes

I’ve run across the issue of different places, when asking for my mobile number for verification purposes, not recognizing the number as a mobile line, giving me the error of not using a landline or a VoIP number…is there a way around this or is that just how the service is?

Message an
Expert customer